Can't Load ANY Updates

Reaction score
I seem to be having problems updating software. At first, I thought it was just a particular program but it seems to be with every program i have that is due for update.

Firefox - It says update is available so I click OK but it never progresses past the downloading bar (the bar just starts spinning the candy stripes and never downloads)

Office 2011 - Never auto downloaded but i think i eventually manually upgraded.

Tuneup. I have downloaded the dmg. file but when i drag across to the app folder it says items are locked (but doesn't specify which items.

iTunes - just tried to update but said the file was corrupt.

I run mackeeper and have checked for virus' etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I run mackeeper and have checked for virus' etc.

That's probably your problem in a nutshell. MacKeeper is an abject piece of crap that is known to create more problems than it actually solves. I would start by removing it, and then hopefully you can restore the integrity of the OS.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's probably your problem in a nutshell. MacKeeper is an abject piece of crap that is known to create more problems than it actually solves. I would start by removing it, and then hopefully you can restore the integrity of the OS.

cwa - you are a legend!!. Thanks for the quick response. I took your advice and deleted mackeeper and itunes updated immediately. Still having the same issue with tuneup though (attached a screenshot). I did re-download the file to be sure.

Haven't tested Firefox yet as i can't seem to force it to update. I will wait for the next time it comes up. I guess if it doesn't work you will be hearing from me

View attachment tuneup.bmp

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, you may not have fully uninstalled it as ZeoBit (the low-life company that makes this crapware) doesn't actually do all that great of a job of uninstalling their garbage (go figure).

Have a look at this article and follow the steps from start to finish:

how to uninstall MacKeeper – updated « Phil Stokes

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks CWA. I went through the process step by step, and still have the same problem with tuneup. I am travelling for a few days now and will look into it deeper when i get back. (Maybe i will have the new Macbook Pro when I get back!!!)

OP
S
Reaction score
As a footnote.......

I think I have solved the problem. For the past few months i have have not been able to get my office printer to work (Samsung USB). I thought the problem started after a Lion update. My mac would identify the printer but would say it couldn't find the software and direct me to the Samsung site. I tried everything - nothing worked. I was trying again today and i noticed that i had a Samsung driver loaded that did not match any printer i knew. On a whim, i deleted this driver and tried again to load the office printer. Lo and behold the new driver loaded immediately!!!!

Now for the good part - Within about 10 minutes of fixing the printer problem, Firefox automatically downloaded the latest update (something that it has been trying to do for some time)!

Hopefully this rogue driver has been causing my update problems. If you don't hear from me again - assume it did!!

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Thanks CWA. I went through the process step by step, and still have the same problem with tuneup. I am travelling for a few days now and will look into it deeper when i get back. (Maybe i will have the new Macbook Pro when I get back!!!)
Scrabble did you order a MBP w/Retina (you mentioned having it when you get back)? I did and they promised me an Aug 7 - Aug 13th delivery. I'm curious how accurate that estimate really is.

Tom

OP
S
Reaction score
I didn't. I am currently living in Kosovo (no macbooks here) but travelled to Germany recently. No one had stock to sell and as I want the memory upgrade i have been told that i need to order online. I'm not keen to do this as it won't likely complete the journey before it gets stolen. Plus, the MBP is about $700 cheaper in the US (compared to Europe) so I am trying to swing a business trip to the States to grab one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.