AppleCare worth it?

H

heedree

I will be purchasing a 15" G4 PowerBook in the next couple weeks and I want to know whether the extra ~$500 (CAD) is worth the 3 year apple care or should I just stick to the 1 year warranty included in the pricetag.

I was in the same situation when i bought my Sony Vaio 13.3" Centrino last september (2004) in BestBuy (you know how those guys in best buy beg you to buy the extended plan lol) and i ended up not getting the extended and so far the vaio never even hinted a screw up.

I want to know whether these G4 books are durable and might not require a 3 year extended plan.

please let me hear some feedback as it will be extremely helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
I didn't get applecare with my powerbook and I've not had any problems with it. From what I've read, if something goes wrong, it will go very wrong and then applecare will be worth it.

If you can get another protection plan that's cheaper that might be a better route (if they have certified engineers). My university offers a cheap coverage plan and I'll use it when my one year warranty with Apple is up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I usually get applecare for anything over $2k, so my iMac and Powerbook I purchased Applecare on, but I didn't with my iPod. So far I have not had to use the extra 2 years, but then again.. I haven't even had it a year yet. Ill probably return the iMac before the 3 years since I have this nice red line right down the middle of my screen.. not real noticeable, thus the reason why I have not returned it yet, but I'll still return it to see what they'll do for me :)

OP
H

heedree

Murlyn said:
... since I have this nice red line right down the middle of my screen.. not real noticeable, ....

yikes.... that scares me a bit. :(

maybe i can just get a 2 year plan for less. do they have these? or just the 3 years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Just the 3 year.. from what I have seen their QA has been down lately :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
if your pretty new to macs then its deffinately worth it as you can the call the line for support with anything OS X, or apple applications related help. ie you cant do something in iMovie you can call them up and they will help you out with that

Reaction score
Nothing goes wrong with Apples :doctor:

I figure you would have to be pretty unlucky for the Computer to stuff up after the warranty ends!?

most the time things will stuff up at the start!

Thats why im so fussy, one little thing is wrong i will take it back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.