• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What is going on with Apple indeed....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So I was looking for an appropriate forum to post this in, and was about to post in the "MBP Breakdown" thread in response to the criticism that we have all been doling out to Apple with the release of the new and non-upgradeable 15" Retina display MBP's.

But I think I'd rather this thread stand out on its own, since the topic of that thread was specifically geared towards the new MBP, and what I want to rant on about is more general than that. The rant of course does stem from that, but....

I think we ALL need to quit cryin', moaning and whining for a little bit. Right now, the BOTTOM LINE is that if you don't want to be stuck with a non upgradeable machine, then you simply do not purchase either of the retina display MBP's or any of the MBA's. It's really as easy as that.

Apple has yet to do away with upgradeable MBP's, and as far as I can tell, the retina display model really isn't aimed towards the masses. It is aimed at professional designers and editors who work in the field and can write the machines off in their taxes. It's also for people who have money just falling out of their pockets, who don't necessarily know what to do with it, or what to do with a computer, but just know that they "want one."

As for the rest of us, we still have the same wonderful choices *bar the 17" model for now* that we did before, and we weren't exactly whining about the performance or looks of those now, were we? The specs have only gotten better and yet... look at us.. the spoiled bunch of children that we are (yes, I'm including myself) we just howl at the moon expecting it to come to us!

Am I thrilled about the way things appear to be moving where upgradeability is concerned? No, but we've only seen the tip of the iceberg and I'm tired of (personally) whining about everything. I'm not rich, I don't have money to plunk down on a machine that costs thousands of dollars every couple of years.. after all, I like to travel and I also have a fairly expensive photography spending habit *which I'll also need to cut down*.

But until I am convinced that Apple is moving in a direction that doesn't fit into my current "scheme" of life, then I'm going to stick with the OS and hardware that have made my life so much more productive and easy over the past 4 years.

It's probably a bit trivial to view a computer and a computer company this way, but it is what it is, and for that I guess I can thank Apple for making me appreciate the smaller things in life, when there really are so many more important issues than those we are crowing about.

/rant.

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I guess the oddest part of my disappointment isn't my concern about the Retina MBP, but missing out on having something new to "drool" over.

Probably will never be able to afford all the toys I would like, but have always enjoyed the window shopping. To that end I look forward to Apple coming out with new stuff (that I will probably never buy) but that I can oggle.
Very similar in some ways to the many happy hours I used to spend with Heathkit Catalogs (to those of you old enough to remember) but never actually bought anything from Heath.

Don't know if any of this makes any sense to anyone but me, but just thought I would add my 3 cents worth. :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very similar in some ways to the many happy hours I used to spend with Heathkit Catalogs (to those of you old enough to remember) but never actually bought anything from Heath.

Brings back old memories. I guess I built just about everything from Heath from their Color TVs to a dual band Oscilloscope. As a matter of fact in my junk closet I still have a color bar signal generator and signal tracer that I built years ago. And a digital clock with nixie tubes (when was the late time you saw those) that still works and which I still use to wake me up. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well said Doug, well said!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Heathkits! Don't even get me started on that! :D Grin

I built so many Heathkits for both myself and friends I can't even count. Fixed many also where they assembled them wrong (hard to do with that excellent manual, but some managed)!

I still have at least 2 VTVM's, Signal Tracer, Capacitor bridges, Audio Generator and a few more. They all work great after all these years also. I LOVED building electronic kits (and even designing and building my own). Had some of their Ham Radio and Shortwave and CB gear also.

Doug, keep watching. Remember when the Air came out there was still MacBooks then BAM, gone. Next is a 13" Retina MBP then......

Time will tell but I really don't like the way I see it going at this point. I HOPE I am wrong.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Doug, keep watching. Remember when the Air came out there was still MacBooks then BAM, gone. Next is a 13" Retina MBP then......

Time will tell but I really don't like the way I see it going at this point. I HOPE I am wrong.

No, I'm totally with you on that bro... I guess I'm simply saying that all of MY whining *amongst the rest of us* has changed my perspective in a negative way which isn't necessary. Until we see the end of those things we are currently speculating over, I'll try and remain as positive as possible in order that my energy is spent wisely, and to make more informed decisions when the time calls for them.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
No, I'm totally with you on that bro... I guess I'm simply saying that all of MY whining *amongst the rest of us* has changed my perspective in a negative way which isn't necessary. Until we see the end of those things we are currently speculating over, I'll try and remain as positive as possible in order that my energy is spent wisely, and to make more informed decisions when the time calls for them.

Doug

Well said. I'm not gonna gripe about this much. I might make some observations, and vote with my wallet. That's about it though. It ain't worth my time otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
it seems many people around me, many of whom have MBPs and were interested in what the new ones would be, are saying they're going to sit this rev out.

With the higher price point, and many pros a little skeptical, perhaps apple will have something better next time round.

I know I'm sticking with this dual i7 for a while longer, it's only 2 ish years old.

And heathkit, I built several things in my teens. I'm definitely part geek.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
If Apple don't sell 'em. They will change the focus at least I hope. I can sure live without the Retina Display. But I love to tinker and up grade. Try and make what I have better "sometimes it works". One thing I'll never quite liking is OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.