• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I watch DVD on mac once ripped?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook 800 Mhz 640SDRAM 30GB
I have extracted the dvd contents to my desktop, I just want to watch it on my mac without burning it, how do I open it in VLC player?? What files do I need to select to make it work?? Sorrry if this has been covered before??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
control click on the file and select open with, DVD Player, or VLC Player.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macAttack said:
control click on the file and select open with, DVD Player, or VLC Player.

Thanks MacAttack, I have the folder on the desktop which when I click will not allow me to select "open with", then when I open that it has two folders "audio TS" and "video TS" the audio folder is blank and the video folder has loads of individual files IFO and VOB files, all different numbers etc. which of these do I select to play. Sorry for being ditz....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
open up 'dvd player' (found under applications), click 'file' then 'open dvd media' then select your 'video_ts' folder of the movie you want to watch

enjoy!!!!
-chris

ps. burn it to a disk...dvds are rather large and just a few of them can eat an entire hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
ahh, sorry i forgot they ripped as a video ts file

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
great thanks lads, its better to burn maybe as it skipping through each individual file is a little annoying...it worked though cheers.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i believe that it should not skip between files, but then again ive only fast forwarded through movies this way just to make sure the rip worked and doesnt freeze up before i burn it
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You should not have to skip through files. DVD player if you point it at a Video_TS Folder will play the movie like it was on DVD. What program did you use to get the Video_TS Folder on your desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
oh, i thought we were talking about more of a 'lag' or 'brief pause' as opposed to having to completely select new files. it should most definately play through your entire movie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.