Wildflowers On My Path

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
I was returning on my one mile walk from McDonald's this morning when the wildflowers along the way caught my attention. I rarely leave home without a camera and today was no exception. I had my pocket digital Leica V-LUX 20 so I framed away and captured these, a nice addition to my wildflower collection.

Wildflowers-01-Framed-XL.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Curiosity question, Bob.

On a number of occasions I have noticed how the digital picture frame makes your photos stand out for a nice visual presentation. Are those from Photoshop or some other Photo Editor, or a function of the site hosting your Photos?

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Curiosity question, Bob.

On a number of occasions I have noticed how the digital picture frame makes your photos stand out for a nice visual presentation. Are those from Photoshop or some other Photo Editor, or a function of the site hosting your Photos?

It's a simple process in Photoshop or Elements using drop shadows and the Edit>Stroke technique for the Black/White Frame. Since I process all my photos to 20"x30" or 30"x20" JPEGs I keep 23"x33" & 33"x23" matted frames I created once on file and just drag my finished photos in the center and change the frame's background color to suit the original photo. It saves a ton of time doing this. I hope this helps.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a simple process in Photoshop or Elements using drop shadows and the Edit>Stroke technique for the Black/White Frame. Since I process all my photos to 20"x30" or 30"x20" JPEGs I keep 23"x33" & 33"x23" matted frames I created once on file and just drag my finished photos in the center and change the frame's background color to suit the original photo. It saves a ton of time doing this. I hope this helps.

Very Nice!

I have Elements and use it for Touchup but have barely scratched the surface on its capabilities.

Any chance you could share a brief tutorial on making a Frame and mounting within PSE?

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very Nice!

I have Elements and use it for Touchup but have barely scratched the surface on its capabilities.

Any chance you could share a brief tutorial on making a Frame and mounting within PSE?

I haven't used Elements since version 6 & 7. I've switched to Photoshop CS4, CS% & now CS6. I'm sure I've written detailed instructions on forums before but I belong to so many I'm not sure if it was here.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doubt if it was here . . . if so, I missed the post.

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doubt if it was here . . . if so, I missed the post.

What the heck, I've got time. Here goes:

Drop Shadow Frame Technique 101
------------------------------------------------------
1. Open any photo, check the Image>Size and write it down.
2. Choose File>New and add 3" to both the height & width dimensions of your original photo. Choose a white background and make sure the resolution is the same as the original.
3. Drag the original into the center of the frame layer with the Move Tool while pressing your <shift> key. This centers the photo in the frame.
4. With the original Layer chosen select fx(effects) and apply a drop shadow to suit your photo, I use a 150 pixel drop shadow for a 20"x30" original, then set a 138 degree angle
5. With the eyedropper tool pick a complimentary color from the original that contrasts the bottom edge of the photo.
6. With the Bucket tool pour this color unto the frame layer.
7. Merge all layers together.
8 Select>All
9. Edit>Stroke Black to a pleasing distance from the drop shadow.
10. Switch to White color.
11. Edit>Stroke to a pleasing thin white line.
12. Switch back to black & Edit>Stroke to create that thin white line and finish in black.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a bunch . . . just printed the instructions so I can try it this weekend. If it turns out well, I'll post a pic.

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a bunch . . . just printed the instructions so I can try it this weekend. If it turns out well, I'll post a pic.

Kewl!!! Once you get the hang of the simple technique make up a landscape & portrait mode generic frame with any old background color. That way next time all you need to do is drop your original in the center, change the background color in the frame, merge it all together and DON'T forget to SAVE AS another file name or you'll screw up your master basic frame. LOL :) - Been there, done that!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First Attempt

Going to have to work on this technique as it didn't turn out 100% the way I wanted. Still, nice addition to the pic.
Thanks, Bob, for the pointer.

MtMagazineSunrise-framed_edited-1.jpg

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Going to have to work on this technique as it didn't turn out 100% the way I wanted. Still, nice addition to the pic.
Thanks, Bob, for the pointer.

MtMagazineSunrise-framed_edited-1.jpg

You pulled off everything but the drop shadow on the main shot. Keep trying, you'll get it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Great job both of you.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You pulled off everything but the drop shadow on the main shot. Keep trying, you'll get it.

Thanks. I tried several different option under drop shadow, but none of them seemed to be what you described.
I'm running PSE 10.0, though I have version 8.0 and 6.0 too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well done to both and again Bob....

Razor ole mate i reckon that border needs to be wider to bring out that shot a bit more, and then with the drop shadow (once you mater it) it will be a sweet image ;)
just my 2c but still a nice image.

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done to both and again Bob....

Razor ole mate i reckon that border needs to be wider to bring out that shot a bit more, and then with the drop shadow (once you mater it) it will be a sweet image ;)
just my 2c but still a nice image.

Cheers

Thanks,
Yeah it took me some fiddling to get the frame and I ended up losing more border than expected. Still don't know why the Drop Shadow didn't drop and shadow. If I get it to work right I'll post another pic.

Took this shot from the balcony of a mountain lodge my wife and I visited for our anniversary a few years back.

And, thanks Dennis for the kind words BTW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.