• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Teardown of Retina MacBook Pro finds soldered RAM, proprietary SSD

Reaction score
Teardown of Retina MacBook Pro finds soldered RAM, proprietary SSD

Apple's new Retina display MacBook Pro has been taken apart and examined from the inside, revealing that the RAM is soldered onto the logic board and cannot be upgraded, and that the proprietary solid-state drive memory was supplied by Samsung.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Maybe I will just keep my current MacBook Pro. LOL, I like to be able to repair or upgrade when needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
They shouldn't even be allowed to call it a Pro anymore.

Apple, you should be ashamed. The ram soldered to the logic board? Really? WTH? According to the article, Apple has gone through every possible option to keep the user out of their laptops, right down to gluing the battery in place and making the case nearly impossible to open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Awesome. "This Changes Everything" :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, on my "skip it" list.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yep, on my "skip it" list.

I agree. A $2000 + non upgradeable machine? What was Apple thinking on this one? I guess we'll have to wait and see how many of them Apple sells. We might be surprised.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Flash-back to the 2005-2006 timeframe when Apple first switched to Intel cpu's...I'm thinking a lot of folks were upset.

Flash-forward to 2012...with the new non-upgradeable MacBook Pro's. Give it 2-3 years...and many of us will own them (since that is all that will be available).

I'm no fan of the non-upgradeability either...but I'll just have to ease into it 3-5 years from now when I buy one of these 2012 MBP's used for $500 bucks!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Retina screen = VERY interested!
mathews_cool.gif

Soldered RAM = All interest LOST!
mathews_nope.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Flash-back to the 2005-2006 timeframe when Apple first switched to Intel cpu's...I'm thinking a lot of folks were upset.

Flash-forward to 2012...with the new non-upgradeable MacBook Pro's. Give it 2-3 years...and many of us will own them (since that is all that will be available).

I'm no fan of the non-upgradeability either...but I'll just have to ease into it 3-5 years from now when I buy one of these 2012 MBP's used for $500 bucks!;)

- Nick

And then the battery/RAM/display croaks and no cheap fix.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I now foresee a Mac Pro in my future.

To echo others . . . I'm not into $2,000 throw-away purchases.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I now foresee a Mac Pro in my future.

To echo others . . . I'm not into $2,000 throw-away purchases.

Exactly.

They should have done exactly what I suggested way back when the rumors started rolling in about this slimmed-down, MBA-like MacBook Pro... maintain the existing MacBook Pro line and call it the 15" MacBook Air. They could have gotten the price down by putting the "Retina" display in the MacBook Pro and left the Air with a standard 1440x900 screen at a price starting at the top of the MBA line (I'm thinking something like $1200-1300).

At $1200, this thing would sell like hotcakes.

At $2100, it's firmly targeted at enthusiasts, many of whom will feel like those of us decrying the loss of upgradeable RAM, easily upgradeable SSD and semi-replaceable battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And then the battery/RAM/display croaks and no cheap fix.

Yes...not pretty...but maybe a sign of things to come!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more it seems like Maybe Apple is trying to merge the Refrigerator and Toaster after all.

Retina Screen. No upgradable RAM. No Upgradable Hard Drive. No Optical Drive. Virtually impossible for non-factory repair.

This is truly the very first time in more than 20 years of Mac use that I have been hit with the thought that if this trajectory continues I could actually be pushed away from an Apple computer as a future purchase. Fortunately my current MBP should keep me going for at least another three if they are determined to keep this course.

So now my big curiosity…is this a leftover Jobs move or is this total non-upgradability a brainchild of Cook?
mathews_hmmm.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Yes...not pretty...but maybe a sign of things to come!:(

- Nick

And possibly the first nail in the Apple coffin for me...At least as far as portables go.

Never thought I'd have to say that... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
As upset as I was/am about this move, the more I think about it, the more certain things make sense in the grand scheme of things. Originally, I was upset about not being able to upgrade the RAM. My thought was, "hey.. if I want 16 gigs of RAM, I'd rather pay less for 4 gigs and upgrade it myself".

But it seems as though Apple has reduced their RAM pricing scheme in order to fit in with the rest of the crowd where competitive structures are concerned with similarly spec'd laptops. That's just one thing. Second thing is pretty obvious: You can't have the MacBook Pro being as thin as it is with the current architecture of the other MBP's. They wanted a radical change and they got one... this is part of the sacrifice.

Third: I was really upset with the thought of "so what happens when my Apple Care expires, and then soon after a memory module malfunctions?" I mean hey.. it can happen! Currently, replacing an MacBook Air logicboard is about $800-$850 and I can't imagine that it would be any cheaper with the new MBP layout.

BUT... then another thought had occured to me (technically I'm lying.. a buddy and I were ruminating upon this subject, credit goes to him mostly) and we figured that a likely conclusion to all of this is that by the time the 3 year warranty is up, SSD's, the RAM and other chips used in the current configuration should drop in price considerably, making the cost of repairing or replacing it easier to handle. I'm sure other factors are involved but IMHO a very possible scenario.

Fourth: Who is the retina display version aimed at? Think really hard about this question please! My initial response to this query was typical, coming from the same user base as many of you who like the flexibility options where upgradeability is concerned. But Apple is moving and shaking right now, and their entire user base is shifting as well.

This can go in a few directions, so I don't really have an answer per sé, but I'm sure we can use the current business model, pricing structure and new hardware to extrapolate a few suggestions.

As a photographer, you'd think I'd be interested in the retina display right? Well sure, it's gorgeous and I'd not mind having one, but.. is it the be all end all for editing? No! I'm doing absolutely great with my current MBP whether using its display or an external one. It really won't do much to change my output, ultimately. So long as what I see on screen is what comes out in print, I and many others are happy! The same goes for video editing I would assume.

Interestingly enough, the dumbest thing I can possibly say as to why I don't want the new retina version, is that I don't want to deal with another battery that can die. A battery that I have to worry about in terms of maintenance yada yada.. I want my next computer to be able to plug in to a wall and not have to worry about the burning heat generated by the power cells in a battery. I also want an all in one solution the next time around, but that's another story.

Doug

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Retina screen had me interested but soldered RAM no thanks. >_>" Glad I bought my MBP, and my MB still works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
And possibly the first nail in the Apple coffin for me...At least as far as portables go.

Never thought I'd have to say that... :(

I have a feeling that when SSD's become a lot more affordable, we will see the demise of the current "other" line of MacBook Pro's. It seems doable to get rid of the MacBook Air line then, and completely merge the Air and Pro and simply call them the "New MacBook". I won't like this, but it seems a likely way to go if the new line with retina sells well enough. As RAM and SSD prices come down, so will the prices of the Air line and subsequently, production for new MacBooks can begin to ramp up. Speculation of course, but why not?

Now, here's where I draw the line: If they do the same things with the iMacs, I'm out. It's already a chore and a half to replace the HDD's in the iMac line, and they've made sure this is the case. But if they decide to make a thin, retina display iMac and exclude the other design option for user upgradeability, then I'm going to seriosly look into other options. A Mac Pro might be one of those options, but do I really want that sitting on my floor or on my desk? No, not at all.

I adore OS X to death, so I'll keep an open mind. Until then.....

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina screen had me interested but soldered RAM no thanks. >_>" Glad I bought my MBP, and my MB still works.

You do realize that you can get a 15" non retina display MBP with the regular unibody form factor, right?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The lack of upgradability definitely killed any interest I might have had in the retina MacBook Pro, and it makes me question the viability of Apple portables as long-term investments. Since I really need to upgrade now, I ordered the non-retina MacBook Pro. I'll be looking at the direction Apple takes with great interest while I own this machine, since it very well may be the last Mac I buy if Apple decides to change the Macintosh from a line of reliable computers into a line of appliances designed to be replaced every few years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll be looking at the direction Apple takes with great interest while I own this machine, since it very well may be the last Mac I buy if Apple decides to change the Macintosh from a line of reliable computers into a line of appliances designed to be replaced every few years.

About how often have you been upgrading up until now? I'm with you, but I'm trying to be logical as well. I'm usually very stubborn and don't break my principles for anything, but if I think about how often I'd upgrade in general, 5 years sounds about right anyway. And I can't imagine the new line not being able to sustain its self for at least that long. Just sayin'. But we'll see!

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.