Problem in viewing Facebook in all browsers

Reaction score
Hi, I use an IMac with OSX 10.5.8. For about 2 weeks now I have not been able to go to Facebook and Yahoo in Firefox, Safari or Chrome while other PC's and IPAD sharing the same router are OK. I have tried checking MacIntosh HD/etc/hosts per a recommendation in another thread with same problem but I can't even find MacIntosh HD/etc.
Can someone help please?

C

chas_m

If you can't find your Mac's own boot drive, you have bigger problems than not getting on Facebook. I'd suggest a run through Mac 101 or Switch 101 to grasp the basic concepts of Mac use, which may very well lead you to the answer.

The fact that the iPad (it's not an acronym, no need to capitalise it) can connect indicates that the problem is on your end, not on their end. So that's at least something to know.

OP
Reaction score
If you can't find your Mac's own boot drive, you have bigger problems than not getting on Facebook. I'd suggest a run through Mac 101 or Switch 101 to grasp the basic concepts of Mac use, which may very well lead you to the answer.

The fact that the iPad (it's not an acronym, no need to capitalise it) can connect indicates that the problem is on your end, not on their end. So that's at least something to know.

There is a mis-understanding. I knew how to find MacIntosh HD from Finder, just cannot locate the "etc" file inside MacIntosh HD. The problem is with my iMac, but don't know how to solve problem even after reading similar threads in the Forum.
Mac 101 and Switch 101 are very helpful info none-the-less.

OP
Reaction score
I knew how to find MacIntosh HD, I just couldn't find the file "etc" inside after an advice in the forum. It is obvious the problem is with my iMac, I just couldn't find a solution after searching threads with similar problems.

C

chas_m

Oh, I'm sorry I misinterpreted what you said. Since you don't already know how to edit the hosts file, I would suggest that this is not the problem, unless you got this mac from a previous owner and didn't remove their setup.

Have you tested a wide variety of websites and FB is the only one you can't connect to, or are there other sites you can't get to? Are you accessing FB on the iPad through the web browser or through their own app?

OP
Reaction score
It is an iMac that I have used for 4 years. FB and Yahoo are the 2 websites that I have problem accessing in all browsers in my iMac. They were OK on iPad's browser, not their apps. Problem only started recently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.