What MacBook pro should I get

Reaction score
I want a MacBook pro I just do not know which one or witha external monitor or not. I do not want answers on computers That are not macs. I want a computer that will last me 4 years with school, some computer programming, and gaming. I will be playing civilization v, arkam city, assasins creed. Nfs, dragon age, Rome total war, etc. I like games. Should I get the new MacBook pro retina do I need it and for what I want should I get the 2.3 or 2.6 in the 15 inch. for what I want would It be better for the money to get the MacBook pro non retina 15 2.3 with a external display and stereos. Or should I just get the MacBook pro retina. Do I need the power and thinness of the retina. Please help. I like to do a lot on a computer I like it to be fast. If anyone has better options for combinations and the cheaper the better but the quality is the most important. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
go with the new retina display, ram to 16gb, 750gb drive will last you that long.
As advertised the best laptop ever made by human hands.

OP
A
Reaction score
Are you sure I really need the 2.6 instead of the 2.3 for what I do. Since if I got the 2.3 I could get a external display and speakers. That seems like a better deal. But if I need the retina 15 then that's what I will do.

C

chas_m

"Need" is a relative term here. Since you value gaming so highly, I think you would regret not getting the Retina display model.

The graphics system on it is: Intel HD Graphics 4000 and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching. That is the best card Apple offers for this machine.

Be aware that the RAM on the Retina MacBook Pro is SOLDERED IN, that means no future upgrades to RAM. Thus, you will probably want to go with the 16GB option. At *present* the SSD is also not upgradeable (that may change, however, as it's on a daughtercard), so bear that in mind as well.

If you can afford the top of the line, you should probably get the top of the line. If not, you should get the deluxe non-Retina 15" model and maybe sell it in a couple years to "trade up" when perhaps the Retina MBP isn't quite as expensive (or can be had refurbished for a bit less money).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD
I would suggest, if you can, get the highest processor you can. I have a Macbook Pro with a 2.3 i5 processor and I sometimes wish I would have gotten the 2.7 i7. You should also look into upgrading the RAM in your Mac. I currently have 8GB of RAM on my Mac and I can tell a noticeable difference. So to sum up I would suggest getting the highest processor you can and upgrading your RAM. These will make you gaming experience much more enjoyable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Retina display:
$4,098.00
2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
768GB Flash Storage
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide (English)
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll

non Retina:
$2,798.00
2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display

OWC:
RAM 16GB Kit (8GB x 2) $169.99

480gb SSD $599

Total cost: 3566.99

leaving $500, which will easily cover an external monitor, and leave you with a 750GB external hdd (chassis will run ~ $40-$70).. oh and sell your 8gb of stock RAM

So, do you need the retina display.. or not?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.