buying refurbished

D

danbob6

Having looked through previous posts regarding refurbished i-Macs I noted that it's seems that The Apple Store isn't the only place to purchase these. For instance, I've seen reference to buying refurbished i-Macs (as well as other models) from Amazon. If I buy a refurbished machine through Amazon how do I know who has done the refurbishing? Also, does anyone know whether models offerred through Amazon are less expensive than those thru Apple?

Thanks
Dan

Reaction score
All Apple does is check to make sure it works, fix it if it doesnt, clean it, and package it up. I would imagine thats pretty much what the others do. You get a 1 year warranty on the ones you get from Apple, I don't know about other places. From what I have seen, Apple refurb prices are usually cheaper.

OP
H

Harryc

As far as Amazon, I guess it depends on the reseller. For example, Small Dog does their own refurbishments. I'd contact the reseller listed on Amazon. If it doesn't specifically say 'Apple Certified Reconditioned', it most likely is not.

http://www.smalldog.com/refurb/wag20001

OP
D

danbob6

Thanks. I looked a little deeper and noticed that the computers are being sold on something called 'Amazon Marketplace,' where I guess pretty much anyone can list their stuff. Amazon says you're buying from one of their 'trusted' partners, but I'm a bit skeptical, even though it appears you can also buy 3 years of Apple Care.
Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.