Boot camp update, now it won't c+p

Reaction score
So basically I found a serious problem on my macbook Air after my latest Boot Camp update.

When trying to copy+paste text with embedded color into word or even from word to word, instead of looking like this:

Texttexttexttexttexttexttext
Coloredtextcoloredtextcololredtext
Texttexttexttext

It looks like this:

Texttexttexttexttext

Formercoloredtext

Texttexttexttext

I have to save and edit many different works and if I can't copy the color codes,I'm basically screwed. What to do??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sounds more like your Word paste default options at fault. Which version of Word?

OP
H
Reaction score
And yes, it does, but this was never a problem before that update so... Yeah, I'll admit I have no idea why it would suddenly start loosing format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I suspect it's most likely the options have been changed by accident from the paste options pop-up context menu.

But you can set them the way you need them (either from the context menu) or from the Options panel:

Click the Office button top-left
click Word Options from the pop-up window that appears (bottom-right)
Click Advanced and scroll down to the Cut, Copy and paste options.

From here you can set the defaults

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmm... I'm playing around with it now, but as far as I can tell, "Keep Source formatting" should be the right option, yet it is not giving the desired result.

Specifying how to copy between word documents I have tried all three available option, neither making any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then it sounds like a document issue. Close all instances of Word. Then restart.

Create two blank documents, type some text into one and format it. Copy and paste to other.

Still having the same issue?

OP
H
Reaction score
I suspect I have to get rid of this word and re-install it...

I've just gone through the link you copied (thank you for all your help btw) and it does not show paste options, despite this being the option chosen in the advance setting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's this bit you need:
If you paste a portion of a paragraph from another Word document and styles such as Normal, Heading 1, and so on are defined differently in both documents, the Paste Options button can display Keep Source Formatting as selected, yet the pasted text does not look like the text in the original document. This is because the format of the text in the original document is governed by its paragraph style. If you want to preserve its original formatting, do the following:

When you cut or copy the original text, be sure to include the paragraph mark (¶).

Note To display the paragraph mark, click Show/Hide ¶ in the Paragraph group on the Home tab.

Word Ribbon

Paste the text.
Click Paste Options Button image, and then click Keep Source Formatting.
Delete any unwanted text that precedes the end of the paragraph.

Failing that maybe a repair install or failing that a Office reinstall

OP
H
Reaction score
it's this bit you need:
If you paste a portion of a paragraph from another Word document and styles such as Normal, Heading 1, and so on are defined differently in both documents, the Paste Options button can display Keep Source Formatting as selected, yet the pasted text does not look like the text in the original document. This is because the format of the text in the original document is governed by its paragraph style. If you want to preserve its original formatting, do the following:

When you cut or copy the original text, be sure to include the paragraph mark (¶).

Note To display the paragraph mark, click Show/Hide ¶ in the Paragraph group on the Home tab.

Word Ribbon

Paste the text.
Click Paste Options Button image, and then click Keep Source Formatting.
Delete any unwanted text that precedes the end of the paragraph.

Failing that maybe a repair install or failing that a Office reinstall

The marked part is the part that fails... so reinstall it is then.
Well, thank you for taking the time with a noob.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.