Lion to Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen
My MacBook Pro is a few months old and had Lion pre installed

As I have been getting to grips with the Mac and Lion after many many years with PC's, I have a query regarding upgrading the operating system.

I have, a couple of times, reverted to formating the drive at boot and re installling Lion.
This has been trouble free. I did this just to see how it worked.

However, my question is, If, when I purchase Mountain Lion, will that overwrite the recovery partition therefor, Lion would no longer be available for re installation ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
i got mine through the app store so whenever i go into the app store i hold option whilst clicking on the purchases tab and i can then reinstall lion through a recovery mode. That is if you got it in the app store. if not the suggestion above is even better. but some options for you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That was my point..... There's no saying that option will or won't be available once Mountain Lion has been installed. So a hard copy will definitely give you the choice.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen
When looking at purchases in the app store, Lion is not listed
Is it possible to make a DVD from the recovert partiton ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
probably because it came preinstalled, i was just saying if you purchased it in the app store that option "may" be available to you. As mrplow points out that it may not be available in mountain lion, but if it is then it certainly is an option.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That looks like the answer
I will give this a go sometime later and post my experience

One question first though.
I use a 1Tb drive for TimeMachine and the only other drive I have is a Windows drive
Is it possible to use that to store the first part of the procedure before making the Pen drive boot disk

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OOPS
Forget the question.
I see it has to be Mac formatted and I will now use a 32Gb pen drive for the procedure

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that was trouble free.
I followed the link you gave.
I now have Lion on a bootable pen drive

Thanks for that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it worked for you. Thanks for posting back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.