Question about running linux

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Ok. and yeah i recently ran Ubuntu in virtual box on my macbook pro and i just couldn't find any uses for it because everything linux could install, my mac could also install. That's why I have come to the conclusion to either dual boot linux and windows on a cheap pc or to just run linux on a pc. So now i'm trying to find a cheap pc to do this with. I feel that by buying another computer i will have more hard drive space to download things and also more freedom to do linux things. So my question is what cheap pc would you recommend i buy? And would you recommend dual booting windows and linux or just run linux? *I already have a decent pc desktop running windows 7 and also a macbook pro 13inch i5 8gb of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Michael Dell has always been a big supporter of Linux and Dell's seem to have the least amount of issues as for running Linux only if you need the HD space sure if not then dual boot you never know when you might need some Windows specific program and it keeps you from getting rusty incase a job calls for it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Michael Dell has always been a big supporter of Linux and Dell's seem to have the least amount of issues as for running Linux only if you need the HD space sure if not then dual boot you never know when you might need some Windows specific program and it keeps you from getting rusty incase a job calls for it.
Well if i needed windows I was actually planning on installing it with bootcamp on my mac. Also remember this is going to be a very cheap computer so it won't be able to run any programs that use a lot of ram. That's why I wanted to just run linux on it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why not just run Linux on one of the two machines you have now? That would seem to be the easiest solution.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not just run Linux on one of the two machines you have now? That would seem to be the easiest solution.

*Assuming you are talking about dual booting. Which do you think it would be better to run on
my PC desktop running windows 7 or my macbook pro? Which would have more benefits?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Neither machine is inherently better for this - both will work. However, it might be easier to use the Windows machine since not only are small things common between the two (the keyboard for instance) but setting up a bootloader will be easier.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok so now I need to decide whether I want dual boot or run just linux.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.