Happy Hippos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
What a lazy day! Munching on hay or lounging in a pool were these two's choices.

Hippo-04-Framed-XL.jpg

Hippo-05-Framed-X2.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OK I'm not much of a hippo guy but still some nice shots. Now if you had a gator or two I'd feel right at home.

BTW two questions about your recent photos of you don'y mind:

1. Are you shooting in RAW format
2. What has been a typical duke size (uncompressed). Rough approximation is sufficient for what I am trying to figure out.

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I'm not much of a hippo guy but still some nice shots. Now if you had a gator or two I'd feel right at home.

BTW two questions about your recent photos of you don'y mind:

1. Are you shooting in RAW format
2. What has been a typical duke size (uncompressed). Rough approximation is sufficient for what I am trying to figure out.

The pure RAW files ring in around 42Meg each. I process to 20"x30" or 30"x20" Jpegs at around 8 Meg, depending on how much processing I do. That's big enough to do any print size I'd desire. I only shoot in RAW.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That answers a lot of questions. The wife and I were trying to figure out what we would do next vacation to not have to take the MB Pro. We were thinking to pull the photos off of the camera's memory card and upload them to iCloud if we started running out of space.

Our current camera is a Canon point and shoot for portability. It does not do RAW (Tiff maybe I don't remember). I don't really need better camera but since when did that stop anybody.

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That answers a lot of questions. The wife and I were trying to figure out what we would do next vacation to not have to take the MB Pro. We were thinking to pull the photos off of the camera's memory card and upload them to iCloud if we started running out of space.

Our current camera is a Canon point and shoot for portability. It does not do RAW (Tiff maybe I don't remember). I don't really need better camera but since when did that stop anybody.

I'm using my new Nikon D800 camera and good lenses. The camera uses a 36.3MP sensor that creates incredibly detailed, sharp photographs when focused properly. The color saturation at that high pixel count is unreal. I do have some of my work made into 30"x20" gallery wrap canvas prints but mainly simply display them on the web. I make a lot of prints at Christmas time and special occasions. I also own a beautiful Nikon D7000 that I am trying to sell as the D800 is leaps & bounds superior to it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice gear. When we were planning a trip to Arizona I think I looked at both of those as potential cameras. The wife talked me into a point and shoot for portability. She also pointed out that i have absolutely no clue how to make good use of either of the cameras you have. Still thinking I might upgrade soon though.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
One can never have too many cameras . . . .. ;)

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.