Windows 7 installation loop on MBP OS X Lion

Reaction score
After DAYS of trying to resolve this by searching on Google, I`ve decided to directly list my problem here to see if anyone is experiencing any similar problems or has a solution.

Problem: When trying to install Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro, everything was going smooth and at the words "Completing Installation..." the installation freezes and I reboot the computer, once rebooted, a message pops up

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

and after clicking "OK", the computer restarts and comes back to the very same message, even after about 30+ tries. It`s an endless loop.

Note:
- I`ve had Windows 7 previously on this Mac, and I uninstalled the partition and now I`m trying to re-install Windows 7 by giving it a BIGGER partition (More memory for Windows 7 and less for OS X)

- I`ve tried booting the disk at startup AND the Windows Partition, but both have the same problem.

- I`ve tried the "Repair" option

- Used Bootcamp Assistant to partition the disk, have tried deleting the partition and remaking a new one, still the same problem

- It`s definitely not the disk itself

- I`ve tried reinstalling multiple times and even waiting 8+ hours at "Completing Installation..." (the part where it normally freezes) no signs of change.

- Windows 7 32bit home edition
- Bootcamp Assistant
- 13" Macbook Pro, Mid 2010
- OS X Lion 10.7.3
- Graphics: NIVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
- Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
- Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Please help out if you can!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I know it's too late to help now, but the next time you need to expand a Boot Camp partition, there's no need to remove the partition and re-create it. Use CampTune from Paragon Software which can non-destructively expand or contract a Boot Camp partition.

As to your current problem... It may be that your Windows 7 DVD is defective (scratched or dirty). Assuming you're using a genuine MS full install DVD of Windows 7, it should work. If you bought the MS full version, it also came with a second DVD which is the 64 bit version. Try installing the 64 bit version instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.