problems with imac os 10.5

Reaction score
Where to be begin! I have been having a number of problems. Firstly the clock and other icons disappeared from the top tool bar. Then Safari would not play videos. Then safari, system preferences started freezing open. Even when I force quit them they stay there. Or if they do go, the icon shows that it is still open and it won't reopen. I have ran onyx and it made no difference. Verified the disk, fixed permissions still no difference.

Then the mac wouldn't come on from a restart. It was just freezing on a blue screen.

I have opened it in safe mode (which works fine) and had a good clean out - but no improvement. It opened after about 5 attempts and took much longer then usual.

Then I reinstalled the OS (archive and re-install method) from the DVD and when I turned it back on it looked exactly the same and had the same issues. After another couple of restarts its appearance has changed and it now looks like it has been reinstalled ifyswim - the desktop, apps, icons etc are back to how they were when I got it.

It still is not working. Just opened system preferences and it is stuck open with the pinwheel of doom just spinning and spinning. Any ideas???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Spinning beach ball (pinwheel) can mean not enough RAM to run everything you have open.

Menu bar (top tool bar) has settings in com.apple.systemuiserver.com (System User Interface Server). Find that file in HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences. Drag the file to the Desktop and Restart. That makes a "clean" file in Preferences.

Safari Menu > Reset Safari...
Clear cache and cookies at least. (Not at a Mac, can't remember all the things there. Some you will not want to purge.)\

Blue screen - How old is this Mac? What model is it? Could be sign of hardware failure.

OP
C
Reaction score
Age...

Thank you I will try those points you've made. I have an imac and it is about 4.5 years old (model no A1224)

This is my first mac and I love it. what is the average life expectancy of an imac I wonder??

C

chas_m

About 4.4 years. :)

Actually though, I'm much more worried about your hard drive. Not enough RAM would be a problem you would have noticed a long time ago. Corrupted directory/permissions and potentially a dying HD would be much more along the lines of what you describe.

In any event, I'd suggest keeping the backups up-to-date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Safari Menu > Reset Safari...
Clear cache and cookies at least. (Not at a Mac, can't remember all the things there. Some you will not want to purge.)\

Don't check Remove Saved Names and Passwords

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.