no hd detected

M

moominmac

how to read word document on os 8.1

can anyone give me a tip on how to read a word document on my mac os 8.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tried reseating the HD? I had a 1400cs a long time ago and I always had issues with the stacked RAM coming loose. I suppose the same could happen with the HD.

OP
M

moominmac

how to reset hd?

D3v1L80Y said:
Have you tried reseating the HD? I had a 1400cs a long time ago and I always had issues with the stacked RAM coming loose. I suppose the same could happen with the HD.

how do i do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
moominmac said:
how do i do this?
Just take it out and put it back in again
...like you did when you installed it :black:

OP
M

moominmac

i have already tried that and still it has not worked. i've laso tried disableing extentions just in case but this also has not worked. i have both os 8 and os 9 start up disks and both of these load up fine so that tells me the hd is ok but just cant access it. are there any trick key sequences i might need to try. I just feel it is something simple that i am missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
moominmac said:
i have already tried that and still it has not worked. i've laso tried disableing extentions just in case but this also has not worked. i have both os 8 and os 9 start up disks and both of these load up fine so that tells me the hd is ok but just cant access it. are there any trick key sequences i might need to try. I just feel it is something simple that i am missing.
So when you boot from the CD, you are able to see the HD mounted on your desktop? I ask, because booting from the CD does not necessarily mean that HD is OK. You are booting from and running from a valid system folder that is on the CD itself, not the HD. If you are not able to access the drive, then there is likely either a problem with the drive itself, or the cradle/connection for it on the logic board.

OP
M

moominmac

ok.......... you really are a big help to me, i think you are getting to my problem, no i cant see my hd mounted the only icon i have is my cd.
i have a hd problem dont i.
the computer was fine yesturday and only gave me this problem when i tried to install appleworks.
i know the hd is not dead as i have experienced a dead drive before, is there any way i can fix this without replacing the hd?

many many thanks

OP
B

Badger

I ran across a reference that says these model p_books may have problems with HDs larger than 8 gbs; http://www.insanely-great.com/features/020121.html note C under the chart. The solution mentioned is to partition the HD. Try starting from the OS 9 CD, then using Drive Setup (Utilities folder on the CD) to format and partition the HD. If that works you can try the system installer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think Badger is on the right track. A lot of older macs have that 8GB limit. Why it even booted at all I am not sure, but try what Badger suggested and boot with the CD and Partition the drive with the first Partition just under 8Gb. See if it shows up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
More recent versions of the Mac OS, however, such as 8.6 and 9.0x, appear to have overcome volume size limitations with these controllers, with reports of successful 10 or 20GB drive transplants with no need to resort to partitioning.

And the problem is that the drive is not appearing, even when booting from the CD. It is likely an issue with the connection, and not the drive itself. I had the same problems with a couple of the older PB's I have had, as well as the 1400 I had. A new drive cable/cradle/sled always did the trick. I would suggest doing a search on google for "1400c drive sled" or something similar. eBay would be another option.

OP
M

moominmac

ok guys thank you all for your responses but, i had already checked that the pb is ok for 20g hd, and as stated everything was doing fab. The only thing i can say happened was i had changed the extentions list?????? nnot too sure this is the right thing but it turned off all non mac extentions. Was this the cause of my hd disappearing from sight?

i have tried and tried but no disk or any other operation is allowing me to access the hd. like i said before all was really working well up to the point of installing appleworks, then the com shut down and here i am.

again any help is much welcomed:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I think the HD failure happening after the installation of AppleWorks was just a mere coincidence. It is not likely that turning off extensions would cause the HD to not appear for you, even if you start up from the CD, you are starting from the system folder on it, which you cannot alter the extensions on.

The problem is your HD's connection to your logic board. If you have reseated it, and it still won't show up, then check the connectors.
You can also try resetting the PRAM to see if that does any good... it may not, but its worth a shot.

OP
M

moominmac

many thanks again, just one more question how do i reset pram????? and what is pram??? please dont think i'm too stupid but i had been really pleased with my achievment until this happened.
many thanks moominmac:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
To reset the PRAM, follow these steps:

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Make sure the Caps Lock key is not down.
3. Restart the computer. Immediately after hearing the startup sound, simultaneously press and hold Command-Option-P-R. (If you do not hold down the key combination within 5 to 10 seconds after the computer restarts, you must repeat steps 1-3.)
4. Hold down the keys until you hear the startup sound again. Then release the keys.
5. If the computer shuts itself off, press the reset button on the back of the computer to turn it back on. (you will see a little reset button between the ADB and Serial ports on the back of the PowerBook.)
6. When the computer has finished starting up, restore any custom settings for the desktop pattern, memory, network, AppleTalk, trackpad, power conservation, and so forth.

OP
M

moominmac

ok, i reset the pram and this is what i'm left with.

last night after resetting pram, my laptop refused to play ball, instead of starting as instructed it went to the welcome to mac os screen then i was met with a wide rectangular box which kept flashing. this box looks as though it is ment to have a message in it, but is empty.

after trying several times to restart i still left the night with a very stubborn and poorly laptop.

i have just started up the mac again for the first time today and have managed to startup as far as the welcome page, although the box has re-appeared it has now stopped flashing (it did flash for about 1 min), however now there is nothing. I have a frozen computer.

Any further help is very widely appriciated:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's been so long since I have ran into that flashing but blank rectangular box with Mac OS. I can't remember what caused it anymore it's been so long. Let me search around and see if I can refresh my memory.

Does the Install CD still find no Hard Drive?

OP
M

moominmac

thank you for taking up my challenge, it has been a good 15 mins now, no flashing still, but also no life from my beloved mac:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
moominmac said:
thank you for taking up my challenge, it has been a good 15 mins now, no flashing still, but also no life from my beloved mac:)

If you boot with the install CD does it still not find the Hard Drive?

OP
M

moominmac

no install disk in drive, presently trying to read from hd? this is better than yesturday as yesturday it could only boot from cd:)

OP
M

moominmac

i'm a bit scared to restart it just yet, even from cd is there nothing i can do from where i am. i'm frightened i'll lose hd again:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.