Oh, the irony (the fallacy of the back-lit keyboard)

C

criticular

I always thought one of the sexiest features of the powerbook was the backlit keyboard. Though I rarely compute in the dark, I thought it was super neat. Super neat that is, until I used it for the first time tonight and the irony shark took a bite out my pride. I noticed that because of the light off of the screen, the letters were MUCH HARDER to read when illuminated. They show up crystal clear when the light is off, and then they are illuminated they turn white, making them unreadable on the SILVER keys. Doesn't anyone test this ****? I mean now I have to turn the bloody thing off! It only actually helps when you're looking at the computer from the top down, which is only actually good for when you're admiring the darn thing! Apple is selling sex, I swear.

Other than that I LOVE POWERBOOKS!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
When it's dark, you can turn down the screen brightness more since the backlight doesn't need to fight against the ambient light. It saves battery power, and might make the keyboard easier to see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It can be set to automatically dim the screen according to ambient light levels under the 'Display' system preferences.

That will it should automatically adjust the keyboard and display brightness to ensure a perfect working environment.

OP
C

criticular

I already had it set to be controlled by the ambient light sensor, and even when I manually take the screen down to minimum brightness (with the screen bent back so it isn't staring down on the keyboard) it still is easier (easier, as opposed to impossible) to see the keys with the back light off. Try it out for yourselves.

And again, I love powerbooks, but this was just totally weak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
When I had my PowerBook I used to use the backlit keyboard in the dark all the time, never had a problem of being able to see the keys :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think they've tweaked the backlighting in the revisions after yours, so maybe that's why I've not noticed any issues with the one we have at work...

Reaction score
criticular said:
I always thought one of the sexiest features of the powerbook was the backlit keyboard. Though I rarely compute in the dark, I thought it was super neat. Super neat that is, until I used it for the first time tonight and the irony shark took a bite out my pride. I noticed that because of the light off of the screen, the letters were MUCH HARDER to read when illuminated. They show up crystal clear when the light is off, and then they are illuminated they turn white, making them unreadable on the SILVER keys. Doesn't anyone test this ****? I mean now I have to turn the bloody thing off! It only actually helps when you're looking at the computer from the top down, which is only actually good for when you're admiring the darn thing! Apple is selling sex, I swear.

Other than that I LOVE POWERBOOKS!!!

Hmm...true...the backlit keyboard is a good idea, but needs refinement. Unfortunately we are the test subjects...for ~2-3G's a pop.

Let me add to your list of issues with the keyboard:

1)The ambient light sensor needs to be placed elsewhere. When I type, sometimes the keyboard would change from high beam to low beam. I think this is because when I type on this keyboard my hand accidentally get in the way of the ambient light sensor.

2)The light consistency across the keyboard is not uniform. There seems to be patches of brighter and darker areas. I am not sure if the characters on the keys iteself is a factor or not. At first I thought it was a dirty keyboard, but closer examination...seems very clean. (I barely use my PB.... prefer to be on my Peecee) :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
Redbrick said:
2)The light consistency across the keyboard is not uniform. There seems to be patches of brighter and darker areas. I am not sure if the characters on the keys iteself is a factor or not. At first I thought it was a dirty keyboard, but closer examination...seems very clean. (I barely use my PB.... prefer to be on my Peecee) :yinyang:

Checked my backlight and it's totally uniform. Checked my boyfriends and it's uniform as well. Maybe it's just yours?

Also, to the thread-starter, I've never had any problems seeing the backlight in the dark. It makes the keys easier to read. I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
liberal123 said:
Why do you need to see which key's are what?

Learn to touch type ;)

just what I was thinking....some people just aint happy, Ill swap him for my ibook if he wants lol....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
liberal123 said:
Why do you need to see which key's are what?

Learn to touch type ;)

ditto on that, i hardly ever look at the keyboard...unless im using #keys or the NUM Pad.....

just another feature to waste the battery....IMO

Reaction score
solarith said:
Checked my backlight and it's totally uniform. Checked my boyfriends and it's uniform as well. Maybe it's just yours?

Also, to the thread-starter, I've never had any problems seeing the backlight in the dark. It makes the keys easier to read. I love it.

Actually noticed it on my friend's PB as well. Perhaps you don't know what I'm talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
FWIW, I just turned off the lights and looked at my unlit keyboard.

I can make out all of the letters and numbers, but all of the keys along the edges (~ through fn, delete through the arrow keys, and the Command, option, etc. keys) as well as half of the f-keys, are completely indistinguishable. (The screen is at full brightness.)

Maybe the wider screen from the larger PowerBooks helps, but the 12" PowerBook could certainly benefit from a backlit option. :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.