Removing Pictures removed iPhoto

82t

Reaction score
Hi

I needed to free up HD space on my MacBook so I saved my entire 'Pictures' file contents onto an external drive. I'm using iPhoto 6.0.6 with OS X 10.6.

Now I'm trying to import new photos into iPhoto but an error message tells me "Your photo library was not found. Do you want to find your iPhoto library folder?". If I select the exported file on the external drive, all works fine.

Obviously, I've moved across a critical directory or root file or some such. Can someone tell me what it is, so I can drag it back onto my laptop, so iPhoto will work without needing to plug in my external drive.

Thanks

C

chas_m

Since you have moved your iPhoto library to the external drive, you will OF COURSE have to have the external drive on and mounted before you can use your iPhoto library.

OP

82t

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. However, I know how to access my 'archived' photos on the external drive. The question is about continuing to use iphoto on my laptop to import new pictures. The application is not working because I have unwittingly removed some required file, I'm guessing - like a .plist or .xml or something. So which file should I bring back across to restore functionality?

Sorry for any lack of clarity earlier!

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you want to treat the iPhoto library as an archive then you'll need a new library. Hold Option as you option iPhoto and select Create New when prompted. Hit save and now you have a new iPhoto library you can start adding to.

OP

82t

Reaction score
Creating a new library has solved the problem. Thanks Mr Plow and all other responders.

Best wishes

82t

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.