Don't think I can hold out much longer

Reaction score
Anyone know when these new iMacs are coming out? I've been holding out for a while cuz they appear to be getting a decent amount of changes done to em, enough to hold out for the new models anyways. Really wanted to wait for em but if its still gonna be another 2 months I might just have to swallow it and get the SandyBridge model. Any thoughts on if it'll be a week, month, 2 months or longer?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No one knows and the best we can do is speculate. If the machines, in their current configuration, meets your needs, buy it now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
J
Reaction score
Well...all the signs/rumors are pointing to quite a few Apple announcements next Tuesday at the WWDC:

WWDC 2012 Preview: What to Expect from Apple | PCWorld

Of course rumors are rumors...but you'll know the facts on Tuesday.

You just have to be patient for a little less than a week...then you can pull the trigger on something!:)

- Nick

Sweet thanks for the heads up, I can wait another week for sure. I'm just thinking since I'll be using my iMac for video editing, streaming, etc that the lil extra juice we'll be getting out of these new Ivy Bridge processors will be worth the wait.

C

chas_m

I have to point out that every test I've seen of Ivy vs. Sandy is not about a huge speed jump, it's about significant power savings. That's the main thing about Ivy Bridge. Yes, it's faster, but not OMGBBQ faster, it's moderately faster. The big deal is that it accomplishes that while ALSO reducing power consumption (so it gets less hot, which means quieter computer).

Maybe Apple has a lot of other magic they're going to bring to the new whatevers, but LUDICROUS SPEED processors just aren't in the mix (except for maybe the Mac Pros, if they get revamped). Just sayin'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I had the same issue trying to wait for the new mbp, but my old laptop was just a touch too unstable to wait any longer. So, I bit the bullet and dove in. Been loving it for the last several weeks now.

Like you, I am anxious to see what will be coming out and what new bells and whistles they will include.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have to point out that every test I've seen of Ivy vs. Sandy is not about a huge speed jump, it's about significant power savings. That's the main thing about Ivy Bridge. Yes, it's faster, but not OMGBBQ faster, it's moderately faster. The big deal is that it accomplishes that while ALSO reducing power consumption (so it gets less hot, which means quieter computer).

Maybe Apple has a lot of other magic they're going to bring to the new whatevers, but LUDICROUS SPEED processors just aren't in the mix (except for maybe the Mac Pros, if they get revamped). Just sayin'.

Well lemme ask you this, what would be better for video editing/streaming, the 21.5 inches i7 or the 27 inches i5? The screen real estate would be nice on the 27, but I thought FCP or whatever else made very good use of the hyperthreading on the i7s, although the actual speed of the processor is lower than the i5 on the 27 inch. Always been confused on what's better, slower with hyperthreading or faster with no hyperthreading.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well lemme ask you this, what would be better for video editing/streaming, the 21.5 inches i7 or the 27 inches i5? The screen real estate would be nice on the 27, but I thought FCP or whatever else made very good use of the hyperthreading on the i7s, although the actual speed of the processor is lower than the i5 on the 27 inch. Always been confused on what's better, slower with hyperthreading or faster with no hyperthreading.

Since this thread is all about when will new Mac's will be coming out (and it would seem early next week)...why not hold off on this question until we see what new models are released.:)

If you just have a basic question about i5 vs. i7 cpu's (and which Mac model would be better for your purposes)...then why not start a new thread?...since this thread really isn't covering that topic.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
K so back on topic. Since no new info or updates on the new iMacs came out, does that mean it'll probably be another few months till we see an update?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
K so back on topic. Since no new info or updates on the new iMacs came out, does that mean it'll probably be another few months till we see an update?

Your guess is a good as anyone's.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.