Maximize current window completely to hide background in Macbook

Reaction score
While working on Mac, I open several windows. Each window has some leftover blank space on right side. This is a huge problem while panning the page using the scroll bar. Often I click outside the scroll bar and inadvertently switch to background window. To overcome this, I have to manually drag the current window as far right as possible to remove blank space.

Is there a more elegant way to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Do you know which version of the operating system you're running?

OP
J
Reaction score
I found this app BetterTouchTool. It lets me define a keyboard shortcut to maximize a window fully, without leaving black spaces on either sides.

1. Download app and open preferences by clicking its icon (boxed index finger) in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
  2. Select 'Keyboard' tab
  3. Select 'Global' in Applications on right
  4. Finally choose Keyboard shortcut and Predefined Action.
I chose the following keyboard shortcuts, which I found safest and non overlapping:

1. Control ↑ Maximize Window
  2. Control ← Maximize Window Left
  3. Control → Maximize Window Right
  4. Control ↓ Maximize window to bottom half

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You can resize the window then click the green Zoom button at the top left to toggle between the default size and your custom size. This usually works, but not always.

You could also download RightZoom, a little tool that makes the Zoom button work just like the Maximize button in Windows.

Or you can upgrade to Lion, which has a truly full-screen button on the top right, making any app take up the entire screen, menu bar, dock and all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.