• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I record streamed Video onto my hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
I am trying to record some streamed video that I found on the web onto my hard drive. If anyone out there knows how to do this, and what software I might need, could you please let me know. In case it helps, the video that I am trying to get opens up in Media Player right now.
Thanks,
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I do not know of an app that will do this but if the site has the .wmv file embedded into it it's fairly easy to get out. In Safari right click (control click) the page and open up view source. Do a find (command F) for .wmv, when it finds the address for the movie highlight the whole thing (from http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxx.wmv). Then open up the downloads window and simply drag the link to the window. The file will appear on the desktop in a few seconds.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
First of all, thanks for your help. I have tried looking into every page that I can find on that site, and for the life of me, cannot find any embedded .wmv files. If it helps you, the link that opens the video is:
http://www.heste-nettet.dk/kaaring2005/video.php?videos[]=14
I'm pretty sure that it isn't a copyrighted video, and I just wanted to have it on my hardrive to show others. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Ah, those little buggers. I don't know how to download them.

T

The Fiish

Get a didgital video camera and an LCD monitor, then its a peice of cake. :p

I've tryed everything I can think of to get videos like that out of a website, I've even consulted a friend who builds websites and he couldent tell me.

I do know that there are programs to do that but you would have to go to the Dark Side to use them.

DON'T DO IT! TRUST YOUR FEELINGS YOU MUST! and all that rot :)

Reaction score
IGetMovie, a free app does the job you are asking but it only works with 10.2 and before. Once I upgraded to 10.3 it doesn't seem to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.