Support for reading multisession DVD in Mac OS X ?

C

Cubytus

Hello,

I have a Windows PC (don't beat me right now..), and I often nedd to burn DVDs for a frind who has a iBook G4 loaded with Mac OS 10.3.x (don't remember the last one). The problem is, although I tried to burn them in ISO9660 and UDF format on both DVD-R and DVD+R with Nero, Mac OS still can't see anything beyond the first session. I tried the same DVDs on other PC, and all sessions are recognized.

Have I missed something, or such a modern OS as Mac OS X isn't capable of fully recognizing these DVDs ?

Thanks for help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
EDIT: Sorry read your post wrong. It should be able to read multi sessions. I have a few DVDs where to get special features you put them in the computer and you get to discs on your desktop (one is the movie and one is the special features)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Cubytus said:
Hello,

I have a Windows PC (don't beat me right now..), and I often nedd to burn DVDs for a frind who has a iBook G4 loaded with Mac OS 10.3.x (don't remember the last one). The problem is, although I tried to burn them in ISO9660 and UDF format on both DVD-R and DVD+R with Nero, Mac OS still can't see anything beyond the first session. I tried the same DVDs on other PC, and all sessions are recognized.

Have I missed something, or such a modern OS as Mac OS X isn't capable of fully recognizing these DVDs ?

Thanks for help

This is all down to the drive rather than the OS, if the iBook is recent then it should be able to read the discs fine. Can you find out the DVD drive model number from the iBook?

Amen-Moses

OP
C

Cubytus

Benjamindanes> Her iBook has only 1 year and 3 monthes; the 10.3.x OS hasn't been upgraded since she bought it, it's a 1.33GHz I think. Oh, and these are not DVD videos, but plain data ones.

Amen-Moses> Well that may be the solution. As soon as I can get my hands on it, I'll check this. Huh, what's the most easy way to check it, by the way ? :D

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Cubytus said:
Benjamindanes> Her iBook has only 1 year and 3 monthes; the 10.3.x OS hasn't been upgraded since she bought it, it's a 1.33GHz I think. Oh, and these are not DVD videos, but plain data ones.

Amen-Moses> Well that may be the solution. As soon as I can get my hands on it, I'll check this. Huh, what's the most easy way to check it, by the way ? :D

Well I did a bit of digging and found this:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/multisessioncds.html

Which links to this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=160588

Things to note are:

"Some formats (such as ISO) only allow one disc burning session."

And:

"Speculation abounds that Apple will incorporate UDF packet writing in a future version of the discrecording framework, possibly in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger."

So I may have been wrong, it could indeed be a problem with software.

Another link:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=200512090732510

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.