Micro SDHC Cards

Reaction score
I have a 27" iMac (one year old), running Lion. I just bought an 8Gb Sandisk Micro SDHC card and a friend gave me two adapters, one which allows me to use the SD card slot, and another which allows me to use a USB socket. My problem is, they don't. Plugging in to either and nothing shows up in Finder or Disk Utility. On the assumption my machine should be able to read and write to these cards, is there anything I need to do first, or maybe I just got a faulty card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
#1. there is a slide lock and unlock switch on the side of the adapter that goes into the sdhc slot in the imac. It has to be on the unlock side to make the imac recognize your card.
#2 if #1 does not work, you can test the micro card in with the adapter using a digital camera take a picture or two on your camera, and using the cable comes with camera to hook up with usb port on imac, images should show up in iphoto or image capture.
#3 if all above steps do not work, using the micro card in the USB adapter to plug in to imac see if iphoto or image capture mount your pictures to imac.
if #1 test good, shows your adapter is working, so does your micro card. You are in business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Agreed..... mostly, but the lock/unlock slider is write protection. The Mac, providing everything else is working, will recognise the card in either state.

Most likely issue are the adapters though. They tend to be inconsistent and poorly made

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.