external drive from windows

B

Brolly

I have a 250g drive which i now have in a external usb housing unit, i can access everything on the drive ok but i'm unable to save anything to the drive?

i have admin rights on the machine, is there something i need to do to the drive to allow files to be saved?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
im guessing that the drive is formatted in NTFS hence why you can read but not write to it

Reaction score
To format it to FAT32, which both can read, you'll have to be on your Windows machine. When you re-format it, it'll erase everything though, so might want to figure out what to do with the files while doing that.

OP
B

Brolly

ok thanks, is there no way of formatting it on via the mac, my pc is no longer living with me now :)

Reaction score
Brolly said:
ok thanks, is there no way of formatting it on via the mac, my pc is no longer living with me now :)

Ohh, if you don't need it to be read by both Windows and OS X, then you can just format it in OS X. Go to Disk Utility. Just get all the data that you need off of it first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually you can format it to FAT32 using your mac as well...
Just select MS-DOS (Fat) from the erase options menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.