• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Moving video files from Windows to iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 500gb - Iphone 5 16gb - iphone 4 16gb- Ipad 2 64gb - ipad mini 16gb
This may be a really stupid question but I am suffering Mondayitis big time today! My BIL has a large amt (100GB) of video he shot on a recent holiday that he wants to put on an external hard drive for me to load on my iMac. He uses Windows so my assumption is that when I plug in the external drive to my iMac it will want to reformatt it therefore meaning I can't simply upload the video file to my machine. Am I correct? Any other ideas about how to get it from him to me aside from using DVDs because as he has pointed out it would take around 20 DVDs to do this. I do have a Windows computer and a shared docs file but I would prefer to be able to work directly from the iMac.
Regards

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The drive is most likely formatted as NTFS. Depending upon which version of OS X you have you should be able to read but not write to NTFS drives. If you have trouble reading the drive give Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X software a try.

Do you know what format the videos are in? Once you get the videos onto the Mac if you cannot open them give Windows Media Components for QuickTime - by Flip4Mac a try. If that doesn't whorl post back and we'll see what we can come up with.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Couldn't tell you off the top of my head which version of OS X I have - I'm at work at the moment so can't check but I'll try it and see. I have asked my BIL what file format the video is in but he hasn't got back to me as yet. I do have Flip4Mac installed so here's hoping.

C

chas_m

This should not be a problem. Even if his drive is NTFS, you can still freely copy the files onto your Mac drive. Macs can READ FROM but not WRITE TO the NTFS drives without third-party assistance.

Once you have the footage, use MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert it to Apple Intermediate Codec and work with it in iMovie or Final Cut or Premiere or what have you in that format. 100GB of raw footage is going to require MASSIVE amounts of free space so I'd suggest at least a 500GB external drive for this project!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chas - luckily I have an external drive - 1 terrabyte - so should have the room. :Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.