cannot connect to verizon fios router

Reaction score
how do I get my wireless to connect with my verizon fios router. The installation guy said they don't hook up macs. any codes I should be looking for on the router. everything I try does not work. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
The Verizon Rep was lazy. They do indeed set up via a Mac. I was at son's house when fios was set up. The Verizon rep supplied a setup disk to be installed my son's Mac and all configuration was made. Did a quick google search and here is the Verizon page with the link to the Verizon In-Home agent software for Mac.

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/inhomeagent/125513.htm

Bill

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Even still, you may want to ditch the FiOS wireless router component altogether (you can disable the radio from the router's configuration page) and use a real wireless router instead. It really is that bad.

Assuming you don't want to do that, be aware that the FiOS router uses weak WEP encryption by default, which can be easily cracked by a trained chimp with 60 seconds or so on their hands, using readily available instructions just a Google search away. It's important to switch the router over to WPA (WPA2 isn't available, but would be preferred).

Verizon Support - How to change to WPA encryption

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's important to switch the router over to WPA (WPA2 isn't available, but would be preferred).

You're correct about the Verizon Actiontech router being set as WEP by default and the Verizon DNS servers. However....

WPA2 is indeed available in the advanced security settings of the Actiontech router. I've get mine setup for WPA2 and have even specified Google Public DNS in the advanced settings.

Don't sell the Actiontech short. It may not be as diversified as other more advanced routers but it's a lot better than what Verizon FIOS was issuing when they first came on line.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.