• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Tim Cook: "I want there to be" American-made Apple products

Reaction score
Tim Cook: "I want there to be" American-made Apple products

Pressed to answer why Apple doesn't own its own factories in China and, alternatively, why it isn't taking the lead to move manufacturing and assembly from China to the United States, Tim Cook answered "I want there to be" American-made products.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Paying one american worker is equal to 10 chinese workers... simple math

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ain't gonna happen Tim alas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
American workers are unlikely to work unplanned 12 hour 3rd shifts backing a regular 12 hours shift for merely an extra cup of tea and biscuit. If we want Apple to move manufacturing back here (in any meaningful volume), we need to go back to 1800's-1900's labor practices - which isn't a good option. Cash-repatriation holiday my a**...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Apple should keep assembling everything in other affordable countries, while increasing manufacturing in the U.S. of smaller parts needed for those assembly lines. Tim mentioned this in his response, and I can't imagine him being able to say "no, I don't want there to be" American-made Apple products, even if it the truth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Apple should keep assembling everything in other affordable countries

What that really equates to is a lack of human rights labor laws. It's truly a shame, and it is the unspoken truth in most successful business practices today. Outsourcing ain't new, and it surely isn't just an American thing, either.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
People could argue what is right/wrong about foreign labor until they run out of breath, but the truth is that one country's labor ethics should not be compared to another unless they have the same laws set forth. Otherwise, one will always have an unfavorable opinion about the country that provides the cheaper labor. There's nothing illegal being commented by either party, it's just a big washed up story that gets attention by people who have no concept of people living in different life conditions than their own. People will always blindly hate Apple for their manufacturing at FoxConn, but they should do more research...there's MUCH bigger problems there than people who are actually waiting in line for days to get the chance to work there. Let's not forget, FoxConn actually has some of the highest paying salaries for the average working person.

China's government is exploiting their own people, and unfortunately, North America, European countries, and others, don't have much say in that matter. If we did, we would of said something about their past currency manipulation, regardless of how we came to the conclusion that they are "no longer considered to be manipulating its currency to gain an unfair economic advantage," as of 2012. If you even believe that.

Reaction score
The problem isn't outsourcing -- it's loyalty. At one point, companies felt a certain obligation to support their communities, states, and countries, and were satisfied with "merely" being profitable. Those days are long gone, and now companies exist simply to push profits to their maximum potential in order to satisfy shareholders -- and they'll do it any way they can, by hook or by crook.

Another problem is politics. We still have large sections of the country that believe in supply side economics; they accept as a truism that leaving more money in the hands of the wealthy will translate to more business / jobs / etc. But in a world without borders and companies without loyalty, this idea goes right out the window. Because of this, we still offer tax breaks, incentives, and holidays to companies that are making enormous profits, at the expense of our nation.

Reaction score
Maybe if our governments were limited to doing the actual job of government (ie: protecting the rights and liberties of the people) rather than being a one-stop-shop for entitlement programs and economic stimuli (ie: bribing the people with our own money), we could restructure our tax system so there would be no need for tax breaks and holidays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
Current tax system is "broke" because of all the holes we allow in the system. When you just about need a law/mathematics degree to understand all of the ins/outs the system has gone a bit far. Not sure if there is an equitable tax system anywhere, but until we make it lucrative to have businesses move here many will sadly stay away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
The more corrupt the politicians are, the poorer the people the cheaper the labor. Same with my country..... honestly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The problem isn't outsourcing -- it's loyalty. At one point, companies felt a certain obligation to support their communities, states, and countries, and were satisfied with "merely" being profitable. Those days are long gone, and now companies exist simply to push profits to their maximum potential in order to satisfy shareholders -- and they'll do it any way they can, by hook or by crook.
Companies were never loyal. It's just much easier to manufacture things thousands of miles from where you sell them and do business now than it was decades ago thanks to the ease and reduced cost of shipping, transportation and communication that technology has brought us.

Reaction score
It costs $1.50 to ship a DVD player from China to the U.S. (Fortune magazine, last month)

Those dimensions mean a MacBook Pro costs 75 cents to $1 dollar to ship.

No-ones going to produce these types of items in North America anytime soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.