Just switched.... A bit lost though!

K

kode9

Hello... I've recently made the switch from PC to Mac by buying a powerbook G3 (old, i know). I am definately prefering the mac so far.

I've got a couple of problems which i was hoping someone could help me with. The first being..... How can i find out the systems specification. i.e What processor it has, ram, hard-drive etc? The second question is How do i re-intsall the OS operating system from the CD.

I realise these two things may be really simple but i justcan't seem to figure them out. Any comments would be greatly appreciated... thx

OP
W

Wapa18

kode9 said:
Hello... I've recently made the switch from PC to Mac by buying a powerbook G3 (old, i know). I am definately prefering the mac so far.

I've got a couple of problems which i was hoping someone could help me with. The first being..... How can i find out the systems specification. i.e What processor it has, ram, hard-drive etc? The second question is How do i re-intsall the OS operating system from the CD.

I realise these two things may be really simple but i justcan't seem to figure them out. Any comments would be greatly appreciated... thx

hi, welcome! we're glad to have you here. congratulations on your recent switch! you didn't say which OS you're using, but it's ok cuz i think i can help you either way. if you're using OS 9, then you need to go to the apple menu in the top left corner of the screen, and then go to Apple System Profiler. if you're using OS X, then go to the apple menu and go to About This Mac, and then you can click "More Info". that should give you any information you need! :D

OP
W

Wapa18

oh, i forgot! about running from the cd...after you put it in the drive, restart and hold down the c key. this will force the machine to boot from the cd. then i think you can run disk utility from the cd, and format the hard drive that way.

OP
K

kode9

Wapa18 said:
hi, welcome! we're glad to have you here. congratulations on your recent switch! you didn't say which OS you're using, but it's ok cuz i think i can help you either way. if you're using OS 9, then you need to go to the apple menu in the top left corner of the screen, and then go to Apple System Profiler. if you're using OS X, then go to the apple menu and go to About This Mac, and then you can click "More Info". that should give you any information you need! :D

Ok... thanks!! that was very helpful.... I'm running OS 9.1. I'm in the apple updater @ the moment & am looking @ the memory. Its says the Virtual Memory is 512mb, is that the RAm?

OP
K

kode9

Wapa18 said:
oh, i forgot! about running from the cd...after you put it in the drive, restart and hold down the c key. this will force the machine to boot from the cd. then i think you can run disk utility from the cd, and format the hard drive that way.

Thanks Wapa.... I'll givethat atry now. You've been very helpful thanks.

OP
S

Soren

kode9 said:
Ok... thanks!! that was very helpful.... I'm running OS 9.1. I'm in the apple updater @ the moment & am looking @ the memory. Its says the Virtual Memory is 512mb, is that the RAm?

If you want to know how much Ram you have, look where it says "Built-In Memory" in Apple System Profiler its under where it says Virtual Memory. I hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.