PMG5 Display stopped working

Reaction score
Need an assist for a legacy Mac - Power Mac G5 PPC Duo 2.0 Ghz. My display stops working as the operating tempature increases on my Mac. I've done the monitor swap. It ran great for 1 1/2 months. Now its flickering and going black. Everything that I've researced pints to the video card. Any recommendations for work arounds a/o replacement video cards are welcome. It has served nme well. It has more life to give. Thanks for the assist!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Taken it outdoors and given it a good clan out? Dust is the enemy of PowerMacs, mac Pros and iMacs. Does the gfx card have a fan unit. Make sure it is working by starting briefly with the door off if possible. Also try removing the card, cleaning the fan unit with a 1/2" soft camel hair paint brush.

Last resort change the card. You have not supplied model details so it could be an AGP or PCI-E card. Give us the model details and will help further.

Reaction score
and when that doesn't work..

look for a 6800gt (most dependable when flashed) if it's AGP

If it's PCI-E I like x1900's they're cheap (relatively) and plentiful (relatively)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.