Email on my Mac -- is there a way to read on IPhone

Reaction score
I have placed many emails to "on my Mac", yet I notice that there is no way to retrieve these emails on anything but my MBP. Is there a way to save to an iPhone ?

It seemed like a good idea to save to "on my Mac" but, now I am worried, if something happened to my MBP, I would lose these emails forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that you haven't set your email account up on your iPhone for example using your POP Account info and incoming mail server details ?

OP
N
Reaction score
I don't know the technical words either.

I receive my emails correctly, but then I take my important emails and move them to the local email account on my MBP, I believe it is called "on my Mac" , however my laptop is at work and I am needing an email from on my Mac. Was wondering if there is a way that the when I move the emails, that I can still retrieve on iPhone.

Reaction score
Whose you email provider?

If it's hotmail gmail or whatever it's on the server still just go get it..

If it's on an exchange server it's most likely is still on the server..

If you took the time to setup and are able to setup an imap then the mail is on the computer unless you told it otherwise..

Given the lack of technical terms I'd say it's still on your providers server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
If you're trying to access your MBP to retrieve email, I can't help you. But like stated, one should be able to access one's email from your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, HotMail, etc) both with laptop and cell phone. I do.

I use web mail. But I have played around with Apple's email client. Even when I downloaded my email from Gmail using Apple's email client, I was still able to see my mail with my iPhone. But that mail came from Gmail's servers. Not from my MBP.

Obviously you have your MBP properly set up. Set up your iPhone to get your email.

C

chas_m

If your email account is POP and you have it set to move mail off the server once you retrieve it on your Mac, then no, you can't read it on your iPhone.

This is exactly why IMAP was created -- to leave email on a central server so that it can be accessed by multiple devices. You should forward your POP mail to an IMAP account (such as iCloud, GMail, etc). Then you can check it on any device and the mail will simply note what you've done (read, forwarded, deleted) and relay that status to all your devices.

I have mine set up so that once it's moved out of my inbox (ie filed elsewhere on my Mac), it's removed from the server, but only then. So I can check email on all my devices all the time, and once a week or so I deliberately check mail on my Mac so that my rules can file the email to other (local) mailboxes as I want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.