Unable to log in after setting password

Reaction score
I have a MacAir and recently had my grandkids come to stay. So, I enabled parental controls and set a password for my account. When I logged out, I was unable to log back in because the buttons are not active. I tried restarting it but the same things happen. How can I fix this? I can't use it at all at this point.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That shouldn't have locked you out of the machine. What exactly did you do in parental controls and how did you set a password to log on? And, do you have an external optical drive for the MBA? Which version of OS X is it running?

OP
M
Reaction score
That shouldn't have locked you out of the machine. What exactly did you do in parental controls and how did you set a password to log on? And, do you have an external optical drive for the MBA? Which version of OS X is it running?

I am running Snow Leopard. I just upgraded last month to that. I did the same thing with my Mac Mini without a problem. I just went in to parental controls and enabled them and set a password -- did nothing else. And it deactivated the buttons. I do have an external drive so it makes sense that I would use that. Any advice on how to do it with that without screwing myself up more?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you have an external optical drive for the MBA, boot the machine from the external drive (use the Snow Leopard DVD) and reset the password from the Utilities menu.

I suspect you incorrectly setup parental controls. You can not apply parental controls to an Admin account unless you convert it. The problem with that is you can lock yourself out of the machine which is what I suspect you did. You should create a new account first and then apply parental controls to it. After setting up the new account with parental controls, you can then create a log on password for your own Admin account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.