• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie to iDVD assistance needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
I've created a photo slideshow in iMovie 11. There is no video contained within the show, just still shots, transitions and separator slides. I have added music successfully. I need to get this on a DVD to play at a wedding.

I finished the iMovie project and chose Share --> iDVD. Once iDVD opened, I opted for the default theme, titled it, previewed it and burned it to a DVD. I saved the project in the default format that iDVD is set to (.dvdproj). I tested the burned DVD disk (a Memorex DVD +R) on an older analog Toshiba TV with a built-in DVD player. The DVD played beautifully -- music and all.

I brought the same disc to a friend's house to see it on their large screen TV. They have a stand-alone Panasonic DVD player attached to their projection TV. The DVD player would not recognize the disc. A different Panasonic DVD player that they owned did recognize it and played it, however, on a different TV set. When I returned home, I popped the disc into the DVD/VCR combo unit we have hooked up to a larger TV (a Panasonic VHS/DVD recording unit). That didn't recognize the disc, either. I'm stumped!

Bottom line: how do I burn this iMovie slideshow onto a DVD that can be read by any DVD player? Am I missing something? Other than carting down a DVD unit that can read this to the wedding venue, what do I do?

C

chas_m

Nothing.*

The problem is with the DVD player(s): some of them won't read "burned" discs, they lack the laser to do so. There's nothing you can do about this except use a DVD player you are sure WILL read the burned disc.

*well, never say never: you could skip the "make DVD" portion entirely and hook up your Mac (or a portable Mac) to the TV at the wedding directly and show it from there. Or post it to YouTube (privately, ie nobody but you or someone with the password can view it), or use an Apple TV to stream it, etc. But that's an alternative that may not be practical for you.

OP
txtchr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
Thanks, chas. Not really what I wanted to hear, but I kind of figured that was the case.

It's a 15+ minute movie, so it is on the long side. I don't have a You Tube account, so I'd rather not go that route. We do have a portable DVD player that I'm going to try. It looks great on the players that read it -- and I finally thought I was done with this project (I've been working on this for months), but I guess there's always one more thing to figure out, right?

Appreciate the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.