2009 White Macbook Overheating

Reaction score
My MacBook (not Pro, late 2009 model) is getting up to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit when I play Minecraft or other similarly large and complex games. I know this isn't a gaming computer, but is this an okay temperature to be running at? It usually stays about 185 degrees even in Minecraft--only gets up to 200 occasionally. When completely inactive it's about 90-100 degrees; internet browsing runs it about 120. Is this ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
200 degrees is getting pretty hot but 90 degrees at idle is relatively normal.

How are the vents on your computer? Are they clogged full of dust?

Are you using your computer in a well ventilated area (without blocking the computer vents)?

Is the fan turning on?

If your computer truly overheats to dangerous levels, it will shut itself off so you haven't breached that threshold yet thankfully. Still, running at 200 degrees a lot will decrease the life of your computer.

Here are the numbers on my iMac for comparison:
Idle: 89 degrees
Browsing Internet: 105 degrees
Heavy processing (bouncing audio in Logic Pro): 134.6 degrees

C

chas_m

You're playing a very new game that was designed for more recent machines on an older machine. Obviously it can handle it, but I can't imagine prolonged use at those temperatures could be good for it.

OP
A
Reaction score
The fans are on, and the vents are open. I also have a cooling pad with a fan attached to it that I run sometimes, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

As long as 200 degrees isn't dangerously hot, it should be okay. This is really just a temporary laptop--I bought it on Ebay and it had already been used since 2009.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The fans are on, and the vents are open. I also have a cooling pad with a fan attached to it that I run sometimes, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

As long as 200 degrees isn't dangerously hot, it should be okay. This is really just a temporary laptop--I bought it on Ebay and it had already been used since 2009.

As mentioned earlier in the thread...the laptop could be dirty inside (fans especially). But no way a really knowing for sure without opening it up.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.