Just Switched!

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
Hey all,
My dad decided to get me the iMac earlier than Christmas. It's still my xmas present...

Anyway, he relented and got the 1.9 Ghz, G5, with the MightMouse and Remote. We arrived at Compusa with our pickup reciept at six pm, and now I've backed up my XP files I needed, ftp'd them to my site, and set up my iMac. I'm typing this from it now. The keyboard is a little weird to get used too, but the mouse is love :D. It's still standard, and I'm surprised it recognized my Cable connection just by me plugging it in. I didn't get .mac, as I don't need it.

Anyone know of somethings I should checkout now ? I still need to purchase a new iPod, and some more Ram I think...

Josh

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Welcome to the world of Macs and OSX. For Christmas I also got a new iMac G5 with the Built in iSight. 2.1Ghz. Love it. Amazing machine.

What are you going to be doing on your new iMac? That will help us suggest what upgrades you might want to get like more RAM.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Graphics
Web design
try out movie making
recording music/editing it
chatting
Blogging
LJ/Myspace/etc.
Forum browsing
downloading things/ playing music and DVDS and burning them.
iPod sync

Not much lol ;).

Reaction score
Might want to pick up some RAM for those heavy LJ/myspace sessions. :)

RAM is cheap...

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,
I'll probably do that before or after Xmas.

Now I'm off to find out how to install .sit programs...

T

Tiranis

Graphics - Adobe stuff? Maybe Macromedia (oh, well, now Adobe) stuff? Gimp if you don't feel like paying tons of money
Web design - skEdit if you want pretty cheap text editor
try out movie making - iMovie/iDVD (both part of iLife)
recording music/editing it - Garageband (part of iLife)
chatting - Adium X: the best IM client for Mac
Blogging - ecto is nice

Anyway, other nice things include Synergy, Launchbar - app launcher (or free alternative Quicksilver), and a must-have VLC (for playing the files that Quicktime doesn't support).

Regarding .sit - download Stuffit Expander!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
BoA said:
Thanks,
I'll probably do that before or after Xmas.

Now I'm off to find out how to install .sit programs...

go to version tracker and search for Stuffit Standard. Download it and install it. Then just click on the .sit file. it will do the rest.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hehe, I found Stuff It right after I posted, got it off of VT I think...
VLC was the first thing I installed actually, that WMP for mac, Mac VCD, and iSwipe. Just did BT, and BOW. For some reason the bit-torrent programs go really slow, and bit-torrent (main) says it can't connect to the port when I try to download anything. And BOW, just won't start I don't think. It just says active, but then nothing starts I have 27 seeders too.

Yes, I use Adobe :D. I'm banking on the fact that it ran well on my P2, with 24 MB g-ram and it will do excellent on this new model iMac. I've joined a couple of mac forums over the past few days, and even the iMac group on Y!. I will now install quicksilver, and adium... Thanks Tiranis for the link to SkEdit !

And dtravis, VT is love :p.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
BoA said:
Just did BT, and BOW. For some reason the bit-torrent programs go really slow, and bit-torrent (main) says it can't connect to the port when I try to download anything. And BOW, just won't start I don't think. It just says active, but then nothing starts I have 27 seeders too.

BoW is garbage. I use Azureus. Make sure that you have port forwarding enabled on your router and you have you firewall configured under the sharing preferences in the system preferences.

I recommendCandy Bar and Shapshifter for the day when OS X gets visually boring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
BoA said:
Just did BT, and BOW. For some reason the bit-torrent programs go really slow, and bit-torrent (main) says it can't connect to the port when I try to download anything. And BOW, just won't start I don't think. It just says active, but then nothing starts I have 27 seeders too.

BoW is garbage. I use Azureus. Make sure that you have port forwarding enabled on your router and you have your firewall configured under the sharing preferences in the system preferences.

I recommend Candy Bar and Shapshifter for the day when OS X gets visually boring.

T

Tiranis

For a good BT client I would recommend Transmission... [do a google search for Transmission OS X]. I wouldn't recommend Azureus unless you need power-functions.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Iron MA, I used AZ on XP but it wasn't working right for me. I'll try it on OSX. I have my ports open, and the firewall is set right, now it seems to work though...

I'll also try out Transmission Tiranis, as soon as BOW finished this download...

I was looking at Candybar and Shapeshifter earlier, are they worth the price ?

Anyone know good ram sites?

Also, why does the might mouse cursor keep flicking to the bottom left of the screen o_O?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I love the mac, ill never go back to windows. after playin around with it, within minutes i can see MAC and its OS is wayy better then any Windows based PC!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
One more reason I think BoW is garbage. I think they are worth the price. They make customization very easy. Most if not all the icon sets and themes are free. Just think about what you spend 20 bucks on.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to agree BoW is a POS.
Transmission is a little better, 'still haven't tried Az yet :D.

B

Berman

maz94protege said:
I love the mac, ill never go back to windows. after playin around with it, within minutes i can see MAC and its OS is wayy better then any Windows based PC!

have you tried expose yet? if not.. open a bunch of windows, then hit f9 ;)

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^Or click the sides of your mighty mouse ;).

Anyone know why it keeps shooting to the sides of the screen though ?

Reaction score
BoA said:
Anyone know why it keeps shooting to the sides of the screen though ?

Thats a different Expose option, you can change what your Mighty mouse buttons do.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it's a button. More of an uncontrolable action ;).

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
BoA said:
I don't think it's a button. More of an uncontrolable action ;).

I think you may be referring to a problem I have noticed with infra-red mice and patterned mouse pads. My PCs do it as well so it is definitely a problem with the mice rather than the machines. Try using a matt black mouse pad and you should be fine. If you don't have a matt pad just put the mouse on a blank sheet of paper.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.