Removing HD partitions

Reaction score
Look, I'll come clean. I've lived in OS X for about as long as it's been around. I'm not really a switching newbie. And this has to be awfully basic, but I've never had to do it before, and I can't find out how.
I partitioned a 1TB drive keeping about 250 Gig for a separate volume -- which I no longer need or want. I've unmounted, ejected, erased (not in that order) but I can't seem to get the ghost partition to give up its "ghost", along with the gigabytes is holding onto.
The person that tells me how, will have my warm appreciation.
Thank you!
Gundor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Wait a sec I just did that a few weeks ago..

I think what I did was click on the ghost partition (in disk utility and partition) and it will tell you its size etc. I think erase was next then you click on the partition you want to keep and I think you are given an option some where to add it or resize. If not then click on the erased ghost partition and maybe the option is there...

Note I did not erase any data that was already there, but even still do a time machine backup anyways...

Hope that helps.. atleast you know it can be done ;) or it will give you hints on how to do it..

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks, Aqua, that was. Well, not exactly, but it got me to the right place. Once you have found it, never let it go. No, wait, thats South Pacific.
(Sorry)

Here are the steps, for anyone who searches "remove partition" and ends up here:

Open DiskUtility. Click on the icon for the physical drive of which the partition is a part. Choose erase on the button bar at the top of the DiskUtility window. Here the partions shown spatially in a vertical rectangle. Merely highlighting the target partition and clicking the minus sign at the bottom will remove the partition.
BONUS. You can change the allocation of HD space on any partition by merely sliding a bar!
I love it when it's fast. After an hour. I really must visit here sooner.
Gundor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
LOL OK thanks... Thanks for remembering for me ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.