New Printer suggestion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I have recently purchased a mbp and in my home I have a network set up with several windows pcs and my mac. I am looking for a wifi laser printer that will work well together with all of the computers and hopefully allow me to print off of my iPad.

I do currently have an older dell network printer, but doing the work around to get older drivers that work with macs and getting it to work has been a problem. So at this point I am looking into a new laser wifi printer.

If any of you veteran users who interface regularly with wifi networks have any suggestions for possible printers I would greatly appreciate it.

My home printing load is not too large, but I do bring work home (school teacher) and print quite a bit of it at home so I am looking primarily at laser printers. All in one would be nice, but at this point I am more interested in them all playing nicely in the sandbox (macs and pcs).

C

chas_m

Brother lasers appear to be cheap and good, and are friendly with both platforms.

Printing to one from iOS should not be much of an issue. Some printers are AirPrint ready out of the box, that's something you can check on for the model you're looking at. If the printer is on and connected to a Mac, then you can use AirPrint with nearly any printer via third-party software such as AirPrint Activator. Most manufacturers of printers now include (or point you to) their own iOS or Android printing app that basically gives you AirPrint functionality for network-attached and Wi-Fi printers. In short, that part won't be a big deal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless the developer of AirPrint Activator has recently made changes, this app is not compatible with Lion. However, Printopia is but it's not free. $19.95.

C

chas_m

Doh! Sorry, you are right. I *had* Airprint Activator (which worked great) and changed over to Printopia when Lion came out. Works so seamlessly I forgot all about it. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.