CS3 on current Mac-mini?

Reaction score
Can a current (2012) model Mac-mini run CS3 (Universal Binary)? If it does work, do I need to install Java Runtime for OS X 10.7? According to what I have read, 10.7 does not come with Java Runtime. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If any program needs Java, then you will be prompted by OSX to download it

OP
L
Reaction score
Good to know!

My main issue right now is getting CS3 to work in 10.7.

CS3 is a Universal Binary, which runs fine under 10.7. The CS3 installer is however PPC-based, and since 10.7 doesn't have Rosetta, it can't use that installer.

I am thinking, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that I should be able to use the Migration Assistant to transfer/migrate CS3 from my MBP (10.6.8) to my Mac-Mini (10.7) without the need for the CS3 installer. Does that sound right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've run into the same thing with several apps whose installer is PPC coded. Sometimes the migration assistant or Time Machine is able to move the app without running into a Rosetta error, sometimes not. Depends on the app. I've been successful with several games, however, other apps that are more complex that need to be reinstalled just flat out won't work. I have no experience with Adobe apps so I can't tell you if CS3 will migrate or not. Give it a try and let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I made a post about how to install office from the CLI. It'd possibly work for cs3 too, assuming that the actual installer is the problem. Right now though, I'm on my phone so I'm not looking at man pages. I bet you could find the post, if you searched for lion & office though

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...mpatibility-os-x-lion-10-7-a.html#post1271333

You'd have to adjust the command for CS3. That said, I'd try the GUI install first.

OP
L
Reaction score
Update:

The Migration Assistant didn't help me, because it didn't allow me to install just CS3. I would have had to migrate all applications!

As it turns out, the installer that comes with CS3 is apparently in Universal Binary. I could simply install CS3, and from what I can tell so far, at least the core funtions are working fine in 10.7, so I'm happy. Droplets cannot be created, because those were designed for PPC (per a pop-up window).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.