External Hard Drive Format PC/Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (24" Early 2008) 3.06 GHz intel core 2 duo 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 M
Hi, all.

I have a relatively dumb question, I suppose. I have a new external hard drive, and I want to move all of my files to it for safe storage and so I can clean my PC out. But since I plan to someday have a Mac, I want these files to be able to be viewed on there as well as PC. Makes sense so far? So, my question is: will exFAT work with both? Or do I need to somehow use another format? For some reason, FAT 32 isn't on the list of available formats as far as I can see.

I went (on my PC) under Computer> Hard Disk Drives, right-clicked on the external drive, and selected "Format..". I'm on Windows 7. Please help! I'd hate if I moved all my files to the drive, and then couldn't see them or do anything with them on the Mac.

Sorry, this is probably an excessively long post, but I wanted to TRY to describe my problem...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thankies! :D

-J.S.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason FAT-32 is not on the list is because Windows 7 will not (by default) create or format a drive or partition to FAT-32 that exceeds 32 GB. Go ahead and use exFAT as it's a file system supported by OS X Lion and later versions.

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (24" Early 2008) 3.06 GHz intel core 2 duo 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 M
The reason FAT-32 is not on the list is because Windows 7 will not (by default) create or format a drive or partition to FAT-32 that exceeds 32 GB. Go ahead and use exFAT as it's a file system supported by OS X Lion and later versions.

Thank you SO much. :* I was worried that I'd have to choose one OS or another. I want to have the option of being able to view and read/write content on Windows and OS X. :) So... Windows will be able to view and recognize exFAT too, right? :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
the issue you will run into is actual file size. If I am not mistaken, 2GB is the limit to the file size for FAT.

Ok, if I were to just use the 2 computers, here is what I would suggest.
> If either of the PCs are desktops, just attach the drive to it and share it out, formatting it in whichever file system is native for the computer. That way, you can connect over the network and read/write as if it were connected directly to the remote computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
the issue you will run into is actual file size. If I am not mistaken, 2GB is the limit to the file size for FAT.

Ok, if I were to just use the 2 computers, here is what I would suggest.
> If either of the PCs are desktops, just attach the drive to it and share it out, formatting it in whichever file system is native for the computer. That way, you can connect over the network and read/write as if it were connected directly to the remote computer.

4GB is the max file size for Fat32.

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, exFAT is not limited to 2 GB or 4 GB. There is no practical limit to file size when using exFAT, and yes, both Windows 7 and Mac OS X can read and write to that format.

(Microsoft lists exFAT file size limit as 16 EB)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.