How do i import iPhone info to a new Mac

Reaction score
My old computer crashed, I bought a new macbook air, but when i want to sync iPhone to it, it want's to erase my iPhone music ... This is the only copy of music I have ... how can I import my iPhone info into my new MBA ?

May of posted in wrong spot ... sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
C

chas_m

Well, no. The ability to freely pirate music from machine to machine is not what I'd call a drawback. But of course it's a minor inconvenience in this case, but let's get real for a second: the problem here emanates from Ntenze's failure to make a backup, not from the iPhone or any "limitations" it has.

Senuti or something like it (I personally prefer Phone to Mac) will get your music and other stuff (from ratings and playlists to photos and videos) moved over to the new machine without much hassle for a modest cost. In the future, make backups to prevent this kind of problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Hate to say it, but just another reason to keep up-to-date backups.

OP
N
Reaction score
It was my wife's computer that crashed, so I really didn't care.. But know that it's my responsibility to fix dilemma... It has changed.

On the plus side - one less PC and one more Mac to my collection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well, no. The ability to freely pirate music from machine to machine is not what I'd call a drawback. But of course it's a minor inconvenience in this case, but let's get real for a second: the problem here emanates from Ntenze's failure to make a backup, not from the iPhone or any "limitations" it has.

You make me laugh Chas as there is no mention of 'pirates'.

I still believe its a downfall !!!!!

Ill take you back maybe 8 months and i had the unfortunate reason to put my Mac into hock. I wiped the HD as i wasn't really sure at the time if i could of retrieved it from them. Thats 1 copy of my music gone. In that time my Ext failed and i lost ALL data of it. Thats a 2nd copy of my music gone. Now my only choice was to get something like Senuti to get all my music back onto my MBP which i didn't have a problem at the time paying as it was the only way to get my music back.
Some people like me do the right thing but with the unfortunate givings of having my Ext HD fail still need a way to get there music back.
To me IMHO its a downfall.

Cheers

C

chas_m

I wasn't implying (or even suggesting) that any piracy was involved. I was saying that IF the iPod DIDN'T have this "drawback" built-in that the device WOULD be used for massive amounts of pirating. That fact doesn't apply to the OP's situation in any way, I was just explaining WHY the iPod doesn't allow two-way copying. It's a restriction placed on the iPod by the record companies btw, not by Apple.

It's *not* a "downfall" (you're using that term incorrectly btw) since many third-party utilities exist to retrieve the music, and of course Apple now offers iTunes Match which also solves that problem. But I have to point out that the situation you describe where you managed to lose two backups of your music -- it's not exactly COMMON, is it? But again there are plenty of options to overcome the loss should you find yourself in that situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And finally Spotify has reached us down under :) about bloody time if you as me.

@chas had a bad hair day mate and didn't mean to go off.. Apologies are forthright and i did use that in the right context ;)

C

chas_m

Well, I'll defer to not knowing Australian and so you may be using it correctly down there, but in the US in Canada "downfall" means something that has been proven to be a fatal flaw that caused the thing in question to fail, thus it's usually used in the past tense, for example: "John Edwards' affair and paternity proved to be his downfall."

While you are certainly free to view the one-way copying limitation of the iPod as a flaw, I think it's safe to say that it hasn't proven to be the iPod's downfall. :)

In any event, no worries -- just bandying semantics as they say. Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.