Safari Hanging

Reaction score
I am new to Mac and am a little frustrated right now. Over the past week or so, Safari has starting hanging every few minutes when surfing. The status bar at the bottom of the page shows "Contacting www.xyzwebpage.com", and it hangs at that point for several minutes. I can't determine any rhyme or reason to this, and it seems to do it on all types of web pages. It will eventually load the page after hanging up for up to 5 minutes. Other than the hang issue, browsing is extremely fast, but the hang issue happens every 5 or 6 clicks it seems.

I have tried many things to resolve, such as Reset Safari, Empty Cache, deleting Cache.db, deleting .plist files, using Onyx to clean, repairing permissions, turning off extensions, adding/removing DNS servers, recycling modem and router, etc. Nothing has worked. I don't think the issue is with my ISP as I just had them out to replace my modem, and everything checked out fine.

I'm at a loss and am almost to the point that I need to go back to my crappy old Dell laptop.

I have a MacBook Air, running OS X Lion version 10.7.4, Safari version 5.1.6.

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am new to Mac and am a little frustrated right now. Over the past week or so, Safari has starting hanging every few minutes when surfing. The status bar at the bottom of the page shows "Contacting www.xyzwebpage.com", and it hangs at that point for several minutes. I can't determine any rhyme or reason to this, and it seems to do it on all types of web pages. It will eventually load the page after hanging up for up to 5 minutes. Other than the hang issue, browsing is extremely fast, but the hang issue happens every 5 or 6 clicks it seems.

I have tried many things to resolve, such as Reset Safari, Empty Cache, deleting Cache.db, deleting .plist files, using Onyx to clean, repairing permissions, turning off extensions, adding/removing DNS servers, recycling modem and router, etc. Nothing has worked. I don't think the issue is with my ISP as I just had them out to replace my modem, and everything checked out fine.

I'm at a loss and am almost to the point that I need to go back to my crappy old Dell laptop.

I have a MacBook Air, running OS X Lion version 10.7.4, Safari version 5.1.6.

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

There is a newer version 5.1.7 try that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This doesn't sound like a browser issue but in the mean time, try a different one: Chrome, Firefox or Opera will all do the job.

When you say that you're adding and removing DNS servers, which ones are you adding? You might want to try OpenDNS or Google's Public DNS.

OP
L
Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies. I will try to update to 5.1.7 to see if it makes a difference.

I've also tried both Chrome and Firefox, and I'm having similar issues with those browsers.

I've tried Google's Public DNS servers, but no improvement from that change, either.

What in the world could this be? Just logging on to the forum to respond to this took 5 minutes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you running any kind of anti virus software on your Mac? Also, as a test connect an ethernet cable from your Mac to the router to see if that makes a difference. Since you tried the Google and Public DNS servers and that didn't help, it pretty much leaves your ISP.

Go to the Speakeasy Speed test web site and test your connection to see if you're getting the speeds you're paying for: LINK

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm running Trend Micro anti-virus. Speed tests look ok. Download is 22.08Mbps and upload 5.36 Mbps.

My Mac doesn't have an ethernet port, and I don't have an external one. So I can't test that right this second.

C

chas_m

Definitely disable (and trash) the anti-virus. There aren't any Mac viruses and I've never even heard of the one you mention, and that can't be good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Definitely disable (and trash) the anti-virus. There aren't any Mac viruses and I've never even heard of the one you mention, and that can't be good.

I agree completely and may actually cause your hanging.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.