• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need suggestions on choosing camcorder for about $500

Reaction score
I know this topic has been visited and revisited, and I have read some excellent advice on here already. The guide that was posted was particularly helpful, and thanks to the user who posted it, but I still am rather confused.

I have about $500 to spend. I will be purchasing this camcorder specifically to record and post online videos of my kinetic art. The videos will be shot indoors using artificial light, and often the lighting will be on the lower side, so that is a consideration. I need to be able to zoom in on aspects of the sculptures at times, but I don't need anything like macro capability. I have a MacBook Pro, OS version 10.6.8. Looks like my version of iMovie is 6.0.3 - is that the info you need to help me?

I think that hits all the high spots. My work deals with marbles rolling, sometimes at high speeds, and lots of little mechanisms moving one way or another. I would like to capture that motion with clarity. I would not mind having HD capability if I can afford it. I can use a tripod for a lot of my work. I might occasionally like to do a sort of time-lapse video of me working in the studio. Is there a camera that can do that sort of thing?

I hope I've provided enough info. Sorry to post this question yet again to the forum, but I am confused about the offerings that are available. Just when it seems I've found something that might work, I read a review telling me how horrible it is. I basically need something I can post clear videos of online with a minimum of hassle from a manufacturer that has a good reliability record (I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon).

Thanks for all your help.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have been doing more research and getting suggestions. Someone recommended the Panasonic HCV700K, but I don't know if that is compatible with my Macbook Pro and iMovie v6. Can someone help me with that question? Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am absolutely not an expert in video, but have you considered using a DSLR like a Nikon D5100 instead, or depending on the quality you need, you might even be able to use a good quality digital compact such as the Panasonic Lumix FZ150.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, Razormac. I guess I haven't considered DSLRs because I already own a Nikon D200, which does all I need for stills, so having something that did video and stills is not getting me anything extra in that regard. I did go and look up the Nikon, however. The main drawback that I see right off the bat is that they can only record ten minutes of footage. I am thinking I'll probably need to record for a longer time than that.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Again, you are better off getting advice from someone who does a lot of work with video, but from your posts these are observations that occur to me:

1) Time Lapse is something fairly easily done with the D5100
2) Cannot see where 20 minute limit is an issue. If you plan on building a video in excess of that I would assume normal production technique would be to shoot a number of shorter clips then edit and stitch together in iMovie.
3) Since you already have a D200 then you probably have a lens kit, including some fast primes, which I think should be ideal for the low light you mentioned

Anyway, my thoughts and I have probably run out of anything useful to say.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks again, Razormac. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, even if you aren't a video expert. It's still food for thought.

That's good to know about time lapse with the D5100, and I suppose that I could just stitch things together. I only have one lens for the D200, however. Still, it is another option. I guess it's just really odd for me to think I'd have two DSLRs, but maybe that is the answer.

C

chas_m

You seriously need to upgrade to the current iMovie.

iMovie 6 HD came out in 2006, and cannot handle the file formats most HD cameras shoot in anymore.

Get iMovie 11 or Final Cut Pro.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, chas_m. I have been doing further research, and it looks like upgrading isn't any issue, at least for the new iMovie - won't even cost me too much, fortunately. I think Final Cut Pro is out of my reach financially right now.

Any idea on a group or range of camcorders I might consider?

C

chas_m

From your stated requirements, I would suggest going the DSLR route if you already have one that shoots HD video. You will get a much better lens (and thus much better quality video), along with the ability to do things like manually focus that most consumer videocams in your price range don't offer. Obviously buying a new DSLR would be out of your budget, so if you don't already have one then I'd suggest taking a look at Panasonic and Canon's video camcorders in your price range. I don't have any specific models to recommend but I *can* suggest you stay away from Sony. It's not that their camcorders suck, it's just that they don't tend to play well with third-party systems and Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.