How long can you leave the iMac on for?

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
I hear some people have problems with the way the iMac vents, and it gets too hot. Is this just leaving it on and using it, or leaving it on but having it sleep ?

How long can you leave it on with the monitor off ? Can you turn the monitor off like with a non intergrated monitor, or is this what sleep is for ?

With my PC I like to keep it on forever unless it crashes or I need to install something and reboot, and just turn the monitor off until I neede to use it again. Can I do this with the iMac ?

T

Tiranis

I'm keeping my iMac on constantly (usually two to three days without sleep) - I don't remember the last time I turned it off, no over-heating issues and this is the rev A iMac (17") G5 I'm talking about - when it comes to heat problems probably the worst one.

As for your question - no, there is no way to turn off the monitor manually (I may be wrong). You can have it set so that it turns it off after particular time. You could also put it to sleep - it wakes up instantaneously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Since I purchased my iMac I have not turned it off... so I would say it's good to go :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Eh...mine sleeps every night and I shut it off for around 16 hours at least once every 2 weeks. All is well here too, but I'm sure I could go without turning if off.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys!
This puts me at ease :D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Actually, letting it sleep at night is bad, because it needs to run daily, weekly, and monthly scripts to keep it running well. I just let my display sleep at night on my iBook, and only restart when an app install or update makes me (which is unfortunately quite often, every three days or so it seems).

D

DigitalN.

meh, I just let all my apple stuff sleep. I don't see any problems arising out of it.

G

Gambit

I turn it off whenever there's a lightning storm, cause where I live, there
are lot's of them.

B

Berman

i've never turned mine off and i've had it since august. zero problems, and i keep a temp probe program running just to be safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I only restart my Mac if it's required, otherwise I keep it running and turn the brightness on the display all the way down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
never really shut the computer down; i just let it 'sleep' at night. although i may start just dimming the monitor at night to let it run it's scripts and whatnot.

now this is only going off of other information i've heard, is it correct that the computer runs it's scripts like around 2-3am? and what exactly is it doing at this time? i use the term scripts to assume that it's verifying permissions and running some sort of disk utility?

enlighten me please :)

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was messing around with something the other day,
and I think it gave a report of a script. It said the iMac did something at five am the other night, when I was sleeping. So...

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
All my machines stay on all the time except my iBook, I've never had any problems (except deafness from fan noise, **** my AMD 64 system is LOUD) by doing this.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
should be able to stay on as long as you want.
But one thing i have noticed about Imacs if you put your had close to the screen, they are very hot, guess it will save a bit on the heating bill :p

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macanal said:
should be able to stay on as long as you want.
But one thing i have noticed about Imacs if you put your had close to the screen, they are very hot, guess it will save a bit on the heating bill :p
They're the warmest on the mid-top left...

So far I've had mine on for about five days straight, with update reboots in between.
I just do like others suggested above and turn the brightness all the way down...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.