What's running in the background

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X, Version 10.6.8 2.66GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 27"
Can someone tell me how I can find out what is running in the background when I boot up.
For about 5-10 minutes I can faintly hear something running in the background. When this is happening I find running programs or logging onto various websites can take a long time. I tend to be watching more of the spinning disc than anything else..
If Time Machine is updating any work I am doing tends to hang and the spinning disc appears. I have disabled Time Machine and Kaspersky Anti Virus to see if this makes any difference, which it doesn't.
When I first had my mac, I was able to go straight from booting up to what ever I need to do, without any problems.
I have done a new reinstall, but the problem still exists.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into Activity Monitor in Utilities and see what is running.

Also anything checked in System Preferences > System > users & Groups > Login Items?

Reaction score
There's a program called "Activity Monitor" on every Mac. You can find it using Spotlight, or it'll be in the Applications \ Utilities .

Good luck finding out what the culprit is. And keep us apprised.

Z

ETA: Dang, beaten by a minute :)

OP
timeferret
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks folks. Not sure what to look for but in Disk Activity Rapportd is showing 1.1% CPU. Would AVG Link Scanner be a problem?

C

chas_m

So let me get this straight: you have at least TWO "anti-virus" programs running on a Mac (that doesn't have viruses) and you're wondering why it's not performing the way it should? Seriously?

Solution: disable the anti-viruses, and turn Time Machine back on. The Anti-Viruses were a waste of money, but without backups you're really asking for trouble.

OP
timeferret
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chas_m. I didn't realise that AVG link Scanner was another Anti Virus program. I thought it just checked out for dodgy websites. OK, Time Machine is back on and both AV programs disabled......let see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And as a suggestion more than disable .. uninstall.

If you must use antivirus software despite there being no Mac OS X viruses, download and use ClamXAV which is freeware.

Should you run Windows on your Mac use Microsoft Security Essentails, also freeware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.