• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MS Tweaks Win 8 GUI...?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Pretty good stuff. Brought back old memories of all the Windows interfaces over the years. However, most of the folks I know that have the Windows 8 preview installed, hate the Metro look. Personally, I could go either way if I were to invest in another Win machine in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Personally, I always kinda liked...

Windows_3.11_workspace.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I think it looks pretty good. Not really a fan of the "tablet" style interface on the desktop though.

Reaction score
i have WIn8 preview on my tablet and I am not really a fan. Most of the new features seem pointless unless you have a microsoft account. My excitement dwindled quickly after a couple days. Now I just use my iPad and the Win tablet rarely gets powered on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBook White, iMac G3 Strawberry, iBook Clamshell Indigo.
The Windows 8 UI is not doing it for me.

It looks like a step backwards. The windows themselves remind me of a crap KDE theme. Not digging it at all.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, so I finally upgraded to VMWare 4 and then downloaded and installed the Windows 8 preview. All I can say is...WHAT IN THE H*LL in MS THINKING? The tiles might be good for a tablet or a phone (except where they would drain the battery faster) but they are a nightmare for a desktop. As for going back to the Windows desktop, sure it looks nice, but no Start menu? How do you shut the machine down or log of? Oh, wait, you have to go back to Metro to do that....

Jeez MS, get with it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Microsoft Windows 8 Has Bad Reviews: Here's Why It Matters - Business Insider

Words you don't want to hear - "Windows 8 is shaping up to be another Vista"

I have held off installing the preview on a laptop. It'll be interesting to see if having a tablet will make a difference in the interface - but one of the reviewers said he was using a multi-touch mouse with a laptop and it was still hard to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.