Adobe flash - how do I...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7
When I got the latest Leopard security update, it disabled the Adobe flash.

Just as I clicked the link to get the current Adobe, the internet provider I use died!

I'm not certain how to get the current Adobe that's correct for my laptop, or how to proceed once it down-loads. I have down-loaded almost nothing to this computer except the automatic updates, so I'm really lost.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Jann

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The most recent version of Flash does not support OS X Leopard so you'll need to go here, select "Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.5" and download version 10.3.

C

chas_m

Adobe, Apple and the rest of the internet are trying to tell you that if you CAN update to Snow Leopard, it is long past time you did so.

You can find out about your machine from the Apple menu (upper left corner) using "About This Mac." If your machine is an Intel machine of any kind, then go to your favourite local Apple dealer and pay them $30 for Snow Leopard and update to it. Obviously, before you do this you will want to make sure you have a good backup and that all your mission-critical programs are as up-to-date as possible.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas, thank you. The nearest Mac dealer is 70 miles away, so I'm going to try Vansmith's suggestion.

Vansmith, thank you. I believe I have the Flash installed - there's a red-and-white "F" icon on my desktop that wasn't there before. How can I move that icon somewhere that it's less distracting? Or is that possible?

Jann

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Chas, thank you. The nearest Mac dealer is 70 miles away, so I'm going to try Vansmith's suggestion.

Vansmith, thank you. I believe I have the Flash installed - there's a red-and-white "F" icon on my desktop that wasn't there before. How can I move that icon somewhere that it's less distracting? Or is that possible?

Jann

That's probably the Flash disk image. If you've finished installing Flash, then you can just drag and drop that onto the trash to "eject" it.

But do not discount chas_m's suggestion just because you don't have a local Apple Store. Once vendors start dropping support for an OS, not only will it be functionally limited, but it starts to become a security risk.

Snow Leopard is a fairly straightforward upgrade and is available online in many places, or directly from Apple. It's time to upgrade. If you choose to delay it, don't be surprised when this becomes a much more costly proposition down the road.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Flash isn't like other apps that only require a simple drag and drop to install. To install it, you need to double click the installer.

At some point, you might want to look into upgrading the version of OS X you have. It's going to get increasingly more difficult to find modern software for it.

EDIT: Evidently I wasn't quick enough!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
vansmith, again, thank you. I sort of stumbled onto that double-click thing, probably a carry-over from my PC.

I'll check around locally to see if I can find someone reliable to do the upgrade. I have a terrific guy that works on my PC, but I don't know if he's into Mac's. I'll ask.

Cheers,
Jann

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.