How can I stop safari opening with the BT Fon hotspot home page on imac

Reaction score
I live in the UK.
I have my home page set to Yahoo in my internet preferences. I use BT as my internet provider.
How can I stop the home page opening with the BT Fon home page every time I boot up, please?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
safari - preferences - general - homepage

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I have down that and reset the home page a dozen times. It says "Yahoo" in the home page, but it doesn't go there when I open Safari, it goes to the BT Fon page.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using any add ons to Safari such as "Glims"? And which version of OS X are you running?

C

chas_m

This might be something BT is doing, you'll need to check with them about that.

Safari can be set to automatically re-open the last page you were on, but I doubt that's what is going on in this case. Is the BT Fon page any sort of sign-in or authentication page?

OP
C
Reaction score
Yesterday, I signed up for BT Fon, thinking that it would be useful when I get my new iPhone. As I understand it, if I am signed up to BT Fon, I can use the BT hotspots for nothing, as BT is my internet provider at home.

Since then BT Fon has just taken over my internet connection, and it seems impossible to get rid of it. My imac used to connect up automatically to the internet when I booted up, now the only way I can find to get online is to open Safari, then I get a message saying I'm not online and offers me a diagnostic test. I click on that and then have to go through Network preferences, select the name of my router and click on that.

Also listed in the box are several other BT connections, none of which I want. I have tried deselecting them in System Preferences--Network but they don't go away.

I also have a laptop PC using the same router and cannot connect to the internet at all now with that. It just says Unable to Connect when I click on my router.

All help most welcome!

C

chas_m

This level of detail would have been SUPER helpful if you'd included it in your first post.

My hunch was correct, You've essentially told BT that you want to use the Fon service for your internet and not your usual home connection, so they switched you over. Bad move.

Give them a ring and get that sorted out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Just change your home page to read www .btinternet.com and make sure your WiFi is switched off.

I'm also signed up to BT Fon but I have never had that trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
So what was the problem then. Others may learn from your answer.

OP
C
Reaction score
I spent 3 hours on the phone and on the instant chat messenger with BT. The person tried all sorts of things, to no avail, and eventually I was put through to Yahoo BT, where the problem was solved.

This person kept asking me to in put the same data into the internet options in IE and then restart. Each time the iMac rebooted the home page reverted to BT Fon, but eventually it accepted the settings and I have got my Yahoo home page back.

She also went through the settings in Network Preferences--Advanced to reset the setting to make the computer a) open the internet as soon as I boot up, and b) stop the computer from always selecting BT Fon as the start up page.

I also had to check that "Remember Networks this Computer has Joined" was checked and that "Ask to Join New Networks" was unchecked.

Basically that was it, nothing particularly special, and all things I thought I'd already checked. I should say that the Yahoo BT assistant was excellent and really knew her stuff. One thing we couldn't do was to allow her access to my computer, my iMac wouldn't allow it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.