Can someone explain this to me?

Reaction score
Hey all -

This is the second time that this has happened to me. I woke the computer out of sleep mode and the screen below is there. Can someone explain why this is happening?

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Screen Shot 2012-05-19 at 5.14.32 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Screen 2560x1440, 3.1 Ghz Quad Core Intel, 4Gb of 1333Mhz SD RAM, 1TB HDD, Wireless K
just a thought....it mentions 'network'......would it perhaps be something to do with your internet connection......is your modem or whatever way you receive your connection secure.....could somebody local be 'sharing' your internet connection illegally?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey all -

This is the second time that this has happened to me. I woke the computer out of sleep mode and the screen below is there. Can someone explain why this is happening?

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Please tell us a bit more about your network - specifically, how many computers and what you're using for a network connection for this machine (in other words, is it using a wireless connection through a router?).

OP
H
Reaction score
Please tell us a bit more about your network - specifically, how many computers and what you're using for a network connection for this machine (in other words, is it using a wireless connection through a router?).

It is not a wireless connection. I am using verizon high speed cable. There is ability for wireless but I currently have the cable plugged into the router then plugged into the back of the iMac. When I had a second computer in my daughters room, that was using the wireless. But there is no computer in there anymore. I hope that is the info you were looking for.

Hwilensky

OP
H
Reaction score
just a thought....it mentions 'network'......would it perhaps be something to do with your internet connection......is your modem or whatever way you receive your connection secure.....could somebody local be 'sharing' your internet connection illegally?

I mean its possible, but they would need to know my password. I don't know how they would get that information, but I guess now a days anything is possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Screen 2560x1440, 3.1 Ghz Quad Core Intel, 4Gb of 1333Mhz SD RAM, 1TB HDD, Wireless K
I mean its possible, but they would need to know my password. I don't know how they would get that information, but I guess now a days anything is possible.

Ah...that's what I meant when I asked is it secure....password protected. So I doubt that is an issue.
I also have a similar setup to you.....cable/router with it going to a laptop elsewhere....but I have never had what you are getting.....yet!
Have you tried describing the problem through Google?

C

chas_m

Actually, this probably means nothing at all. Routers sometimes get confused that computers that aren't there anymore are still "there" in their system, particularly if one computer has been cloned from another (like when you buy a newer machine). You might try renaming your computer something a little different, that will probably eliminate the issue.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is not a wireless connection. I am using verizon high speed cable. There is ability for wireless but I currently have the cable plugged into the router then plugged into the back of the iMac. When I had a second computer in my daughters room, that was using the wireless. But there is no computer in there anymore. I hope that is the info you were looking for.

Hwilensky

It does. Can you check to see if the wireless connection on the iMac is turned on and connected to the wireless network? This may have been done inadvertently and would almost certainly cause this issue.

You can check the wireless settings by going to Apple menu => System Preferences => Network => Choose "AirPort" or "WiFi" in the left window pane.

Under "Status" in the right window pane, it should show "disconnected" - can you verify?

OP
H
Reaction score
It does. Can you check to see if the wireless connection on the iMac is turned on and connected to the wireless network? This may have been done inadvertently and would almost certainly cause this issue.

You can check the wireless settings by going to Apple menu => System Preferences => Network => Choose "AirPort" or "WiFi" in the left window pane.

Under "Status" in the right window pane, it should show "disconnected" - can you verify?

Both Ehternet and and wifi are connected.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both Ehternet and and wifi are connected.

There's the problem then - one or the other, but not both. I'd disconnect the WiFi.

OP
H
Reaction score
Would my wife be able to use her iPad with the wifi off, or am I really not shutting it off for the house, just this computer?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you disable it on the computer, you're just disabling the WiFi capabilities of the computer. Disabling it on the router would disable it for the entire house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.