Time Machine

Reaction score
I have Time Machine on my new Macbook Pro but it is not set up. I want to set it up but can't see how to do it. Do I need to insert a blank disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You need an external hard drive. The point of Time Machine is to have backups of things not only if you accidentally delete them but also if your internal HD fails, which it eventually will.

Just plug in an external drive that's been formatted for OSX. If it hasn't been formatted for OSX, you can do it yourself using Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

A dialogue box will probably pop up and ask if you want to use the drive for your Time Machine backups. Click yes and it will start backing up your HD. It may take several hours depending on how much stuff is on your HD. It will then make regular backups of your system. Should you need to recover anything, click on the Time Machine icon in your Dock (or in your Applications folder) and your screen will transform into the TM interface where you can flip back and forth through time to find the document you are missing.

C

chas_m

Once the initial (long) backup is done, the subsequent updates will only take a few seconds, depending on how much "stuff" has changed in the last hour. Be sure to EXCLUDE from the backup any "virtual machines" you have via Parallels or VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.