Allegro USB 3.0 in mac pro 1,1 Eek?!

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just bought a USB 3.0 card from Allegro and put it in my pro 1,1. I went to their website and downloaded/installed the driver and a restart. I can not seem to get my USB 3.0 devices to show up on my desktop (two different 3.0 harddrives I have). The strange part is that the 2.0 devices work fine. Any ideas on what I should do?? :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
maybe too simply but sometimes we don't think at the obvious. did you go to finder --> preferences and make a tick in the hard drives box?

OP
K
Reaction score
Hello, thanks for the reply. In finder I didn't see any system preferences. But when I went into system preferences at the top tool bar (apple icon) I actually did not see an icont for a hard drive but I feel like I'm in the wrong place? Thanks again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Finder. Select preferences from the top menu, select General. Now you should see the box that needs to be checked off in order for hard drives to appear on the desktop.

However..... if the USB 2.0 drives show up, that means it probably is already selected. Other users have reported problems with USB 3.0 add on cards and Express slot cards. It seems that even with drivers installed, USB 3.0 does not work with a Mac.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply. Yes- the 2.0 devices do show up. And yes I do have the drivers for the 3.0 card. I am working on a 1,1 - maybe because its an older model? Not Fair! Argh... On a side note though- I still can't find that check box. I took a screen grab of my general tab just to let you see what I'm talking about.
2pr8p5u.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wrong preferences. :) We're not referring to System Preferences.

Follow along: Open the Finder, click the Finder menu at the top. Now select preferences and then do as I stated in the reply above. I don't think you're going to get the USB 3.0 card to work right. Other users have not had any luck with add on cards or express cards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.