Web redirects....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
Ok, every now and then, I get an issue where something like Facebook redirects to some other site. Did a bit of digging, and found most people say "macs don't have viruses, it's a DNS issue". Sounds all fine and good, but I open up windows in parallels, and go to Facebook just fine while on the mac side, it is redirecting. So, no, it is not a DNS issue. Something else is going on.

Anyone ever see this, or have a real answer or solution for what is going on?

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
What browser are you using? Safari? Have you tried using a different one? Perhaps Google Chrome or FireFox. Please try and get back to us.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It could very well be malware. There are a few trojans that redirect traffic which would explain why you see this with your OS X installation and not your Windows one.

Make sure your OS X install is up to date. Apple updated a few pieces of software that should remove the Flashback trojan which, although perhaps not the cause of this issue, might be working its "magic" here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Ok, every now and then, I get an issue where something like Facebook redirects to some other site. Did a bit of digging, and found most people say "macs don't have viruses, it's a DNS issue". Sounds all fine and good, but I open up windows in parallels, and go to Facebook just fine while on the mac side, it is redirecting. So, no, it is not a DNS issue. Something else is going on.

Anyone ever see this, or have a real answer or solution for what is going on?

Paul

Download and install this if you're using Lion. For Leopard install this.

-Lanz

OP
Arbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
Using Safari. It seems I can go to the shell and clear the dns cache on the mac side and it all starts working again. But why is dns on the mac getting messed up. Downloaded the tool, opened the dmg and it said it installed, but can't find where to run/launch it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Using Safari. It seems I can go to the shell and clear the dns cache on the mac side and it all starts working again. But why is dns on the mac getting messed up. Downloaded the tool, opened the dmg and it said it installed, but can't find where to run/launch it.

After opening the dmg file move the content to application folder then double click it there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're referring to the Flashback removal tool, you don't do anything other than run the installer. It is designed to remove the trojan during the install process.

Have you installed any "codecs" or visited any shady sites recently? It's possible that you've got a DNSChanger trojan if the problem is an ever changing DNS.

OP
Arbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
After fiddling about, trying this and that with mixed results, it seems the only real answer was going to OpenDNS. I haven't seen any of the same issues since shifting to that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.